First Ride 1981

My first bike, a 1978 Puch Maxi. Two-stroke 49cc that I regeared for an honest top speed of 52mph two up!

Purchased it from an elderly couple next door for $200 back in 1981. They had a pair and one got stolen. Mine got stolen about a year later.

Was a great bike and that's how I learned to love motorcycles. Rode it to the beach all the time. Parents would not let me ride it to school because they thought it would have gotten stolen. Some white trash stole it out of my backyard instead. Wish I could have rode it because I would have gotten all kinds of girls as a 15 year old sophomore.

You must have had your motorcycle licence before your car licences, same as myself.

My first bike was a Honda CB250. Rode that thing everywhere and because I had no money fixed it in some peculiar ways. The headlight burned out and because I live in a small town and nobody sold a round headlight that size (and I had no money) I found a smaller round auto headlight and jammed it in there and used a bicycle tube as filler to take up the space.

7611_0_1_2_cb%20250%20k%201_(c)%20ph.%20Paolo%20Grana%20All%20rigths%20reserved.jpg

I tried to persuade my step sons to get 250s before they get cars and they didn't seem interested. They would be the two most popular kids with a couple of Ninjas.

My moped got stolen because my dad took it out of the garage and put it on the back porch while a local punk had been casing the house. In retrospect, my dad should have advised me to get a 250, but at that time he told me that getting the bike stolen was the best thing to happen to me because bikes are dangerous and it was my tough luck it got stolen. We have not spoken since the 1980s for reasons like that.

He probably told the punk kid to come and get it but he was worried about you and didn't want to see you get hurt. Should have kept that a secret.

My first motorcycle was a 1982 Kawasaki KZ650. I still have the bike !!!

The part I didn't tell, is that I only started moto riding about 7 years ago. I have ridden the KZ over 26,000 miles. Did a group ride from Texas to California; up the PCH to San Fran; then on to Napa Valley; then back across Arizona, Nevada; Oklahoma; Texas. 4,367 miles in 9 days. Had the KZ humming along at 5,000+ RPM for hours on end, day after day. Had no trouble with the bike at all. Only thing was that it was a little under powered.

The FZ1 has taken care of that issue very well.

Back