Flat Deck project.

mounting points

If you look at his pics above you can see he has three bolt points that connect his top plate to the seat pan. The two front brackets beneath the top plate are bolted to the seat pan using the same bolts that hold the two front hooks used to anchor the seat pan to the motorcycle. Looking at the second pic (side view) you can see the top plate support running down to the front corner of the seat pan, and just beneath the edge of the pan you can seat the hooks I am talking about.

His design might use two different bolts but they are connected by a metal bracket and located directly above one another, this offers a solid mounting point without having to drill new holes into the seat pan.

I'll get me some hockey pucks to make my spacers! Thanks

Bsly is correct about the front two mounting points. I used carraige bolts because of the round heads and designed the connection points to line up directly with the points that the bolts attached the front "hooks" under the seat. I had to enlarge the holes on the hook fittings to accomadate the larger bolts. The 3/4"square tube aluminum that I used for the spacer legs / supports fit into the casting on the seat plate where the small square metal tabs originally sat that bolt the "hooks" in the stock set up.
The rear one is actually further back than the stock latch is by about a 1/2". I did this to make the support triangulation better (bigger area = more stable). The support leg is made the same way but has a"foot" under it that is shaped to conform with the curve of the seat pan at that point (compound curve). The "foot" is aproximately 1' X3" and spreads any load over enough area that you could most likely carry the weight of a passenger without any issues as it takes the weight over the latch. I re used one of the stock tabs from the front , grinding off the bolt pin that was spot welded and enlarged the hole to fit the rear carraige bolt, then bent the tab to follow the underside of the seat pan. This prevents the nut from digging into or wearing through the plastic seat pan.

More to it than meets the eye. I might do the rear slightly different a second time using what I learned from the prototype but I would still offset the rear leg to keep the deck as stable as it is.

Now I understand! Thanks to bsly for drawing my attention to this and Lee for the fine explaination! I was thinking along this line but using cut and shaped hockey pucks as the spacer. While fairly rigid, they will also offer some flex and when cut to fit, they should spread the load all around even more.

The seat arrived from Mike today and I already took off the cover and foam. Eyeballing it over tonight and cooking up ideas.... ;) Thanks all!!!

WHAT?!?!? That's it? No more replies? So, I know this is an old post but did you ever make more of these to sell? I'm just now seeing this and I have a rear seat on its way. I can't wait to try your idea.

Back