Fog Lights on a FZ1?

I've noticed during my night rides that the low beams on my FZ1 (Gen2) cast a good, wide light, but the coverage is really poor on the inside of a turn when I'm leaning even at a moderate angle. The coverage on the inside of the turn dives down into the shoulder maybe 10-20 feet ahead. It doesn't illuminate the most critical part of the road.

Everything is adjusted to spec. The high-beams solve the problem, but it's a bitch to have to hit them in every corner.

Are there any ways to supplement the headlights to account for this loss of light in a lean? I've been looking at fog lights. Plenty out there for the adventure bike market. Anyone ever fit these on a sport bike?

I've noticed during my night rides that the low beams on my FZ1 (Gen2) cast a good, wide light, but the coverage is really poor on the inside of a turn when I'm leaning even at a moderate angle. The coverage on the inside of the turn dives down into the shoulder maybe 10-20 feet ahead. It doesn't illuminate the most critical part of the road.

Everything is adjusted to spec. The high-beams solve the problem, but it's a bitch to have to hit them in every corner.

Are there any ways to supplement the headlights to account for this loss of light in a lean? I've been looking at fog lights. Plenty out there for the adventure bike market. Anyone ever fit these on a sport bike?

there's tons of em out there, they're just not cheap

Been Googling more about this. Found a couple interesting things...

The BMW K1600 has a self-adjusting lamp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vNESfn3nYw

Something from the Patent Office...

Patent US20040246732 - Self-adjusting motorcycle headlight - Google Patents

Guess I could just duct tape my Maglite to the top of my helmet.

I find it odd that I never had an issue with this with any of my previous bikes. I suppose their older headlight beams were not as sharply cut off on top like the FZ1's.

I run wide-angle LED spot lights on my current bike. I also used this on my previous Honda 919 and they were excellent at 'filling in' areas where the stock headlight misses.

This thread has some info and my initial impressions. I have yet to put any time on the VFR since installing them but here's the install on that bike:

OcNOx3yl.jpg

My Stelvio has Hella driving lights on the crash bars. They really make a big difference at night.

That said, LED is the way to go for motorcycles. LEDs are the way to go as the electrical draw is so low.

Back