For riders that like to hear music

firefly

Pandora one, a full one year subscription for $36.00, turn it on my i-phone, a high quality headphone & all the music I like anywhere I go.
the best $36.00 I ever spent. the paid service is high quality audio with no commercials & doesn't use too much data.

Slacker. I have there basic service, but I can download full stations and then play offline without data connection and never have to be without music. Especially since one I go off the main Highway, no cell service.

Price is 3.99/month with a great selection of songs for any genre you may fancy.

Sent from: GS4

I just tried Slacker, and though they say they have more music then Pandora, they don't play similar artist consistent with the music I like, if I am listening to rock they put hip hop to = bunch of idiots, Pandora got it right 100% they match similar artist masterfully so I don't have to keep skipping songs.

Do you have a rough idea how much data this will consume in an average day? Say, 10 hours of riding.

I listen daily at home & when riding and never exceeded the 2GB data plan/ month I have, at home its on my wifi.

Its also a very nice gift idea.

Why don't you just download albums and play them via your mobile phone for absolutely nothing! Been doing this for years on my bike. Can't understand why you'd want to pay for a service?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Why don't you just download albums and play them via your mobile phone for absolutely nothing! Been doing this for years on my bike. Can't understand why you'd want to pay for a service?

agreed! and you don't have to fight with losing signal and service when riding in the fun areas:)

Then who pays the artist? don't they have to make a living to? and why clutter my phone with all these downloads?

Then who pays the artist? don't they have to make a living to? and why clutter my phone with all these downloads?

he isn't saying to pirate music, (atleast I don't think) but download music you have. Plus do you know how much they make from Pandora. Look it up. I want to say like a 1/500 a cent for every play.

If you get your music through itunes, then that's sorted with the artist payment.
Make yourself some playlists and load one one your phone at a time if your really concerned about space. If you have an 8gb iPhone, I really wouldn't worry about space unless you've cluttered it up with other unimportant things like work stuff :D;)

If you get your music through itunes, then that's sorted with the artist payment.
Make yourself some playlists and load one one your phone at a time if your really concerned about space. If you have an 8gb iPhone, I really wouldn't worry about space unless you've cluttered it up with other unimportant things like work stuff :D;)

no matter how much music I own I will get tired listening to it daily, with Pandora I switch stations & get a different genera & explore new to me music every day.

I like the idea of these streaming services but I don't think they are capable of streaming high bit rate music in most areas, certainly not where I ride. I just load my collection to a good MP3 player with a 32GB microSD and stick it in my front pocket

I think if you're in a major area like LA or what-not, the service would probably work very well indeed. Out in the sticks you tend to lose service or have limited service quite often, especially when out riding the backroads

Also the headphone quality is a big factor, the iphone headphone are rubbish when it comes to listening to music, I use a modular helmet and use a Philips
over the ear headphone, it gives very nice bass as the helmet presses it against my ears, sometimes I would have the foam ear plugs in too, this surprisingly works great, full volume & ear plugs the sound is very comfortable & very clear with no damaging effects of high db, you still can hear a fire truck but wind noise is cut by 90% or more.

Philips SHS5200 28 Behind The Neck Neckband Headphones for iPod and iPhone 609585133303 | eBay

I'm really old skool.....I don't want any music or distractions while riding. That's the whole point for me, getting out away from tv, music, and distractions at home, and just enjoying the road and the sound and feel of the bike. And I do some of my best thinking while alone on the bike. I don't usually ride more than 4-5 hours at a time so it's no big deal for me and I have high quality audio systems in the living room and my study so I have plenty of opportunity to listen to good music unspoiled by wind and mechanical noise. I can see if you are on a touring bike tooling down the interstate music can be worthwhile, but out on a Sunday afternoon testing my skills, nope, don't need or want music. To each their own but do we need 24/7 connectibility to music?

I'm really old skool.....I don't want any music or distractions while riding. That's the whole point for me, getting out away from tv, music, and distractions at home, and just enjoying the road and the sound and feel of the bike. And I do some of my best thinking while alone on the bike. I don't usually ride more than 4-5 hours at a time so it's no big deal for me and I have high quality audio systems in the living room and my study so I have plenty of opportunity to listen to good music unspoiled by wind and mechanical noise. I can see if you are on a touring bike tooling down the interstate music can be worthwhile, but out on a Sunday afternoon testing my skills, nope, don't need or want music. To each their own but do we need 24/7 connectibility to music?

You are missing Tangoing with the bike, I don't listen to music all the time while riding but when I do it is a pleasure to tango with the bike, the other day some banjo music came on while I was riding Los Angeles surface streets splitting & filtering my way through what a blast that was.

I listen to music on my 40mile daily commute, and to be honest I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

You listen to music in the car, right? What's the difference?

I have the music on my phone linked to a Bluetooth receiver on my lid. I put it on during the boring bits (motorway, dual carriageways), then switch it off during the technical bits of the ride.
I find it keeps me calm and stops me getting bored then doing daft overtakes/splitting at speed.

But each to their own :p

Do you have a rough idea how much data this will consume in an average day? Say, 10 hours of riding.

Well, when it is summer and working outside, I average about 240-300 MB/day. I started to find a need for the data and download the stations at night (when free wifi will not count against data for satellite) and have not looked back.

I've tried all the services, and this is the one I keep coming back to. Sure, all provide the same basics, but I do not get I to the every 2-2.5 hour replay of the same set list.

As for the music selection, artist stay to the genre selected and helps my long work day pass much faster.

Now, it is my intent to have more seat time this year so I'll be able to apply some tunes while I ride.

Sent from: GS4

Last edited:
Closest relevant thread...

Anyone tried Plugfones?

Foam | Plugfones : The First and Only Earplugs with Music

Searching around I ran into some positive reviews, so ordered a pair. I never ride without earplugs or in-ear headphones, so this may be the alternative I've been looking for to use without knocking my headphones out when I put the helmet on.

My real concern is the NRR of 25, when the earplugs I use are 32.

Last edited:
Closest relevant thread...

Anyone tried Plugfones?

Foam | Plugfones : The First and Only Earplugs with Music

Searching around I ran into some positive reviews, so ordered a pair. I never ride without earplugs or in-ear headphones, so this may be the alternative I've been looking for to use without knocking my headphones out when I put the helmet on.

My real concern is the NRR of 25, when the earplugs I use are 32.

Judging from how small the speaker driver is They will not sound good, I want to hear bass these will never provide it.

Back