Fork seal tool

I have an oil seepage from one of my fork seals, the PO had the forks rebuilt two years ago ....after watching the how to on this, has anyone installed the seal using pvc tube rather than buying the seal driver tool..

I have tried it, not on the FZ1.

It works, but it isn't worth your time trying to get the right stuff together. My suggestion is spend the 35-40 bucks and have it shipped to you via Amazon.

Agreed, finding right size pvc pipe can be a pain, its the pipe thickness (insert that's what she said joke here) that is hard to find or you have to shave it down. look around, dirtbike websites have them cheap, like 15-20 for dirtbike shocks but I bet size is similar for fz1.

I have driven fork seals into place without a fork seal driver many times. If you are patient, it is easy enough. I usually took an old fork seal and cut in half and place it upside down on the new seal and slowly drive it into place using a dead blow hammer and a flat dull tool.

I have driven fork seals into place without a fork seal driver many times. If you are patient, it is easy enough. I usually took an old fork seal and cut in half and place it upside down on the new seal and slowly drive it into place using a dead blow hammer and a flat dull tool.

Thats what I do too.

As the others have said...buy the right tool for the job. I too have driven in seals w/o the proper tool and really it's not worth the hassle. As for the correct seal driver it's a 43mm one...

Thanks guys....taking a close look at the fork tube I see some very fine scoring. So I tried to polish it out. I pulled the dust seal and looked at the fork seal with light, looks ok, i think I am going to need the tubes dam, or find used forks. Road test, still seeping.

Ask the Pros

Thanks guys....taking a close look at the fork tube I see some very fine scoring. So I tried to polish it out. I pulled the dust seal and looked at the fork seal with light, looks ok, i think I am going to need the tubes dam, or find used forks. Road test, still seeping.

Talk to these guys before you go out and buy parts. I have heard very good things about this shop.

Super Plush Suspension

Quite often, with the dirt bikes anyway, the seals can weep when a bit of grime gets dragged up the lip, this can often be removed with a seal scraper often called a seal doctor.

You just pop the dust seal off, stick the tooth under the oil seal and wipe the scraper around one or two full turns.

These are great, you would be surprised how many seal leaks these things can fix.

Back