From 2 Harleys to 2008 Fz1

I would like to share my new experience with the forum. First off this is not a Harley bashing post, I've owned 2 Harleys in the last four years and had no issues whatsoever, the bikes were beautiful but for me they were boring to ride. I tried to love em but they were just nice to look at. Well today I got a new 2008 Fz1 and words cannot describe how awesome this bike is. The fun factor is nothing I ever thought motorcycling could be for me, the bike is so smooth and handles like a fighter jet not to mention the acceleration cannot be compared with my previous Harleys. I'm 45 this month and can't wait til the next time I can ride this COMFORTABLE ROCKET.

Welcome to the forum RoadKing, good to have you aboard. My feeling is that every bike has it's place. When I went to Vegas to visit Mom, I rented a Harley Road King for a week. My son and I had a blast on that bike. It was like a Cadillac on 2 wheels! For useful city travel however, I would rather have a more nimble ride. Not to mention that you could buy 2 FZ1's for the price of 1 Fatboy!, and have 4 times the fun. For me its a "no brainer". If and when I go back to Vegas, I wouldn't hesitate to rent another Harley. Glad to have you aboard with us here. The name here is Billy, from NY.

Welcome to the group, happy to have a convert. There are a few H-D bikes that aren't quite as docile as a Roadking. I've had six including VRSCD and a 1200 Sportster and I guess they would be considered a couple of the more nimble in the lineup. The Buell's on the other hand can be downright quick and fast too.

welcome to a world of fun.. great to have ya aboard. and not to stereotype if your one of the hd guys that ride around with no shirt shorts.. flip flops etc.. PLEASE by some gear.. the FZ1 is a lot of fun and great handling.. dont think for a sec she wont through you on your butt. none the less welcome to the forum

Ya,today I went out and got a full face helmet and mesh riding jacket. I'll feel alot better going out the driveway having protected myself. I hope I will have the discipline to wear the helmet when its hot, I never use to wear one at all let alone a full face.:thumbup:

Ya,today I went out and got a full face helmet and mesh riding jacket. I'll feel alot better going out the driveway having protected myself. I hope I will have the discipline to wear the helmet when its hot, I never use to wear one at all let alone a full face.:thumbup:

Well, don't try to be a new found squid and ride in shorts and flip-flops. I always catch flack from my local shop when I pull in in 90+ with leather/helmet/jeans/leather boots on. You've been lucky to this point, don't push it! You are now in a league with a bike that has more horsepower, torque, and a different geometry than what you might normally be used to.

Report on how the FZ is received amongst normal circles and how many make the transition as you have.

Welcome to the Forum!

BroHay

Well I thought I'd give my impressions on my second ride. I just love this thing, so quick, smooth, light and handles with ease. I can see right now my speed discipline is something I must control better if I don't want a ticket. Its way way to easy to speed on this thing. On my harleys speeding was never my thing because it wasn't fun, now I find myself wanting to. I will take my speed more seriously from now on because I am a truck driver and make my living off my license. And yes I realize I'm on a very lethal bike. The only thing I wish was different about the bike is I can't see directly behind me because my big fat elbow pad takes up half the inside of the mirrors. Also could someone tell me is it really necessary to oil the chain after each wash?

As for oiling the chain after each wash, it makes good practice. Unlike the belt drive of your previous rides, I'm taking a stab at that one for I have never owned/riden a harley, oiling the chain and keeping it within the spec allows greater life of the chain and sprockets.

Now, one can ignore this tid bit of info, and go ride say 1500 miles or so, with washing at least twice a week (to try and remove the previous owner's grime) and even use the pressure washer to clean the chain b/c it just does it sooooo much faster than wiping it down with cleaner. Develop some tight links and start to hear a horrific slapping noise that just gets louder and louder with each passing mile. Until, it is not the note of your exhaust that people hear announcing your pending arrival, but the slapity-slap-slap of the chain binding up and all but giving you notice of your impending breakage.

An ounce of prevention will save the pocket book anywhere from 150-300.00, depending upon the flavor of chain/sprockets + labor to install (if you don't have the tools the first time and d.i.y, expect to pay the later) every 2.5k or so.

I'm now past the point that when I'm ready for an adjustment, I go wash the bike, ride home (about 1 mile away) and do my cleaning (no longer using the pressure washer b/c it can damage the O-rings). Wipe the chain down with cleaner, lubricate, and check to see it is in spec.

Gen I is 40-50mm of slack, I recall reading a Gen II being 30mm or so (have to verify the Gen II for yourself)

So, either develop some waterless technique's for keeping your brand new FZ all purdy and such, or, plan on maintaining your chain after each wash.

There are other options, popular in Europe, Scottoiler that automatically lubes the chain as you ride. Some say that you would even get longer life out of a chain then the present 10-15k, depending upon how you ride.

Hopefully you have the skill set to do most, if not all, the maintenance items yourself, otherwise the stealer is going to smile when you walk into their store and meander your way back to the service desk for scheduled maintenance.

BroHay

Last edited:
Back