Front Sprocket Change.......Again!

Billy got the sprocket today and it looks great thanks so much!!! I cant wait to have time to put it on. This weekend i plan on installing my new tail light the has the turn signals built in, and LED flasher and flush mount front signals. once that is done it will be time for the sprocket if the copperdawg speed screen does not come first. It went to paint this past weekend so i should see it soon.

Thanks again!!!

Thats great news Adam! I'm glad it got there okay. I'll be looking forward to what you think of the change once you have it installed.

You're going to have to use an impact wrench to get the driving sprocket nut removed when the rear wheel off is off the bike. With a regular wrench you're just going to turn the engine over before the nut will break free. If you're in a real pinch and don't have access to an impact wrench you can try smacking a breaker bar with a hammer. It's the shock that breaks the nut free, not just the force of turning it.

Last edited:
Just changed my chain and sprockets a few days ago.

I typically do it by myself although there have been a few occasions where I've had the wife come down and step on the rear brake while I loosen the nut.

When she's not around I use a short length of 2" X 4" maybe 16" long. I can take one end of the piece of wood and put it under the rear passenger peg, then use the other end to push down the rear brake lever, you can push it far enough down that you can hook the front end of the wood under the timing cover effectively locking the rear brake lever down fully engaged.

As others say I'm a big fan of OEM sprockets. Also a big fan of the OEM supplied DID VX chain. I've used all of the various DID variety of chains and don't get anymore life from the more expensive models with more letters after their name. Got 25K out of current chain and 30K out of last one. Current one got contaminated with loose tar which shortened its life.

Back