Front Tire Wear

I have a 2007 FZ1 with the original Michelin Pilot Road tires that have 7400 miles on them. The front has worn more quickly than the rear and I was wondering if this is normal for the FZ1. I've gone through tires on several other bikes and the rear tire has always worn faster.

Wow that front did wear out a lot faster than the rear. That has not been my experience at all with the stock Michelin PR. I have over 10k miles on them and both tires still have plenty of rubber left. Guess I'm just not riding hard enough :)

Wow..there's something wrong with that tire. Im fairly conservative and I had 7800 in the rear when I had to change it, and got nearly 10000 on the front. Same with the Dunlop roadsmarts I put on, except I got a little over 10000 on the rear and still going on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What air pressure were you running in your front tire? Low pressure will cause the tire to wear premature.

Do you ride into corners fast then brake and slower out? Lots of stress on that front this way.

Are you riding in those gret mountian roads a lot? I'm happy with anything over 5k on my PR II's but I ride hard for fun and chewing up tires is the price to pay for the big grin factor.

Unusual to see the front wear out first but it can happen.

Replace with the Road II and be happy.

I was pleased with the 4500 miles from my last set of tyres.I run 2CT's as i tend to ride it liek a sports bike and like the grip.
Normally wear 2/3 rears to 1 front.

Boy! Not only is it worn out, but it was worn mostly on one side! Are you running that bike in circles??:poke: I'm not sure that low pressure would warrant the tire "balding" out on one half? I would be sure to check that your forks are in alignment and that you have the proper amount of fork oil in each. I know there is a thread that shows how to make sure that they are correctly aligned. I'll try and find it and post it here. You certainly wouldn't want to prematurely wear out a new set of tires again. Also, I always made it a habit to check my pressures each time I was leaving with the bike on a ride. It takes half a minute and it assures that you always have the tires with a proper amount of air.

Here you go. I found the link. Just read through it and check out your forks. It costs next to nothing and is easy to do. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/quadrunner500sforkalignment.shtml

Last edited:
Back