Fuel odor after riding?

Hi all, I am the proud owner of my first bike ever, a 2009 FZ1 that I've been riding for 2 months now and have logged over 5000 miles. This thing is pure excitement! My concern is that after a ride and parking in the garage, the garage is soon packed with fuel odor. Being in Las Vegas in July, could it be the hot fuel tank just expanding the vapor and pushing it out the vent hose? There is slight fuel liquid at the tip of the line, but doesn't puddle on the floor. My cousin who has had a number of bikes says he hasn't experienced this odor, (all his sportbikes were carburated and prior 98' models). Thanks for any input, I learn a lot from you all! Ryan

I fill the tank all the way to the the bottom floor of the filler neck where there are the multi-holes. Yes, it always seems to have strong fuel odor, even if Im parking it in garage on empty. Its been modded some. Air box mod to open, DNA filter, cut fly's, cat gut, Yoshi pipe, AIS blocked off with a plug.

I fill the tank all the way to the the bottom floor of the filler neck where there are the multi-holes. Yes, it always seems to have strong fuel odor, even if Im parking it in garage on empty. Its been modded some. Air box mod to open, DNA filter, cut fly's, cat gut, Yoshi pipe, AIS blocked off with a plug.

Hi FZ1newbie, I would have a look under the petrol tank and check the fuel lines, injection stacks and that area in general. Ive never had hot tank after a hard ride venting petrol smells in my garage. Undo the tank front mounts and loosen the rear mount, rise the tank hindging on the rear mount and with a piece of string tie it on the front of the tank to under the rear seat with the tank on about 45 degress, then its easy to see fuel lines etc. Good luck newbie.:welcome:

Fuel Odor

I noticed something similar on my bike yesterday. I filled the tank nearly to the top and rode it to work. Later in the day, one of my co-workers mentioned my by was dripping something. When I checked it was dripping one drop of gasoline every 10 seconds or so and there was a little residue on the ground where it had been evaporating from. When I parked the bike in the morning and rode it for lunch, there wasn't any fuel smell or drip spot; however in the afternoon it was much hotter and that's when the fuel dripping was noticed. When it's at home, in my garage, this doesn't happen. I have only had the bike for two weeks so I'm not sure if this has happened before without me noticing.

Has anyone else noticed this in higher temperatures? It was around 95 F and the bike is a darker color, but I don't think this should happen.

-nash

Triple digits here in Texas, mines parked in direct sunlight about 12 hours a day, and yes, if the tank is full or even close to it, it will push fuel
Out the overflow tube. There are several of us here that experience that.
It wouldn't hurt to flip the tank up and have a look, see if anything is slightly loose in the tank. As for "puddling" it probably won't, it evaporates to fast for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, with that type of heat I don't think it's unusual to experience some gas dripping out the vent/overflow line. Mine will do it once in a while too when parked in the sun.

Question for the OP... Any particular reason you chose the fz1 as your FIRST bike? Why not start on something smaller to figure out what you're doing?

As for the fuel, i've had that happen once, also on a hot day, right after i filled it up and had it sit for a while. Since then, I usually fill up 10-20 miles from home to prevent this from happening (also cheaper as you further away from chicago).

Back