Full mirror replacement

I have a Gen 1 and I have an owner's manual but it does not show how to get under the rubber piece where the mirror is screwed into the fairing? Any suggestions? I am trying to find out if it's a two screw set up so I know what types of mirrors I can replace it with, but I don't want to damage the rubber piece trying to figure it out....

The stock mirrors have two nuts holding them on. See pic below:

attachment.php

Sorry, I'm not much help, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out soon. Some of the FJR forums might be able to help too. I've heard the stock Gen I mirrors are awesome on the Gen I and Gen II FJR's (not sure about the new Gen III).

The mirrors mount to the main fairing stay, the one that holds your fairing, cluster, etc. The nuts are inside the fairing and you just have to remove those two nuts and the mirror slides right out. No need to touch the rubber AFAIK

The mirrors mount to the main fairing stay, the one that holds your fairing, cluster, etc. The nuts are inside the fairing and you just have to remove those two nuts and the mirror slides right out. No need to touch the rubber AFAIK

So i have to unscrew from the INSIDE of the fairing? I hope this can be done without removing anything else? lol. I don't remember seeing them in plain sight under the fairing :-/. Guess I will take another looksie today! I will post the picture of the mirrors I am looking at, I believe I will need a....mirror base plate because the aftermarket mirrors don't have two screws.....

What Dustin said. But take care when sliding the inserts in and out. They are buggers to get back in place. Don't force them, Until you get used to it, you will have to work them back and forth till the notches line up.

Thank you very much! However....how do you get to it without messing up the rubber? will the rubber pull right off to expose the bolts?

Well Dustin told you how to get at the two nuts for each mirror. I will just add that they are studs (not bolts) attached to the mirror so no need to hold the top of the stud as you unscrew the nut. It wont turn...

Back