full syn oil versus conv. oil

I used Dino oil my whole life in my cars and my bikes and never had any problems. Last year I switch to Yamaha semi synthetic oil in my bike and my dog and my son died in the same year. Then I got a crack in my car windshield. So I'm switching back to Dino.

I was wanting to switch to full syn oil on this oil change but my concern is whether or not i need/should wait till i need new clutch plates. Anything?

Some people claim you should not run automotive oil in motorcycles with wet clutches, which the FZ1 has. I personally have run Mobil 1 standard automotive 5w40 in all of my bikes & ATV's since 1985 with no adverse effects to the clutch. Also since automotive oils are in a more abundant supply than motorcycle specific oils the automotive oils are usually cheaper. I have been told to stay away from oils that offer better MPG as they may use more anti friction ingredients, which could harm the wet clutch. I have not tried these so I cannot comment. Anyway, Wally World at $21 for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 is a great deal. Save the extra quart and your fifth oil change is free. Not bad!

Steve

Back