FZ1 & a Z1000

ozzieboy

A mate I ride with has a pretty trick Zthou, with all the trimmings. PC3, full Akra system, braided lines and Ohlins all round.

I thought my videos might be more interesting with another bike in them...lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_SqfIPvWwI]YouTube - FZ1 Zthou.mpeg[/ame]

Oh for sure. There is no contest. The FZ1 is a far superior machine, except the rear shock...lol. In some of that video I set out after a GSXR1000 and that's when he dropped off the back. Didn't take long to catch the GSXR either...lol.

Good stuff.
Does everyone stay home when you ride? I could get real spoiled riding without cagers.

Which FE do you have?

That's the results of about 3 hours of video, but it was a little quiet. It was raining early that morning, and was supposed to rain again. Also the V8 touring cars were on telly, as was the Formula 1 later so folks did stay at home...lol. Also a number of those roads don't really go anywhere that you can't get to more easily on a nice straight cager road...lol.

Sad thing is though, that the few cagers you do see are usually coming the other way and are completely on your side of the road. Now I've delivered smallgoods by truck on those same roads, and I know a car fits.:rant:

Edit.....F.E. is Evotech with the standard indicators.

http://www.evotech-performance.com/acatalog/Yamaha_Tail_Tidy.html

Last edited:
Awesome work dude. keep'em comin. love the sparks.....

LOL...yeah, I was playing around and slow mo'd the sparks. I'm starting to understand why the guys behind me at Mallala on my track day on my fZ6 were raving about the sparks...lol. 188-200km/h through the kink with the peg on the deck the whole way. Woulda looked like fireworks....lol.

After a few track days of grinding my pegs out (without feelers) and shredded two pairs of knee sliders i got some rearsets, they really are worth it for the ground clearance and they look better than stock, i can post some pics if you want to look at the set i picked up of fleebay for NZ $250 delivered. Great vid man good to see the FZ1 getting used properly. Cheers

After a few track days of grinding my pegs out (without feelers) and shredded two pairs of knee sliders i got some rearsets, they really are worth it for the ground clearance and they look better than stock, i can post some pics if you want to look at the set i picked up of fleebay for NZ $250 delivered. Great vid man good to see the FZ1 getting used properly. Cheers

That'd be great mate:bowdown:. I'm going to do something about that stock shock abomination first though. This will mean a lot more lean angle before scraping starts.....certainly won't stop it though...lol. After putting rearsets on however, even just half an inch higher, I should be able to avoid scraping them at all. You can tell the rear shock is a big problem by the angle of the bike...I'm not THAT far over, and also the scraping starts as the rear squats under throttle.

I've been going through a bolt head in about 20 mins and have eaten into my pegs badly, but I'm looking at replacing them with something slimmer also.

Have to admit though, that standing on the peg on the deck with the rear sliding under power is a pretty sweet feeling...lol.

Of course the stock can has to go also...lol...'cause it scrapes too...then grind the stand for more clearance....lol.

Here are a few pics of the rearsets i fully recommend them they are the cheapest on fleebay but work well and look sweet. I tried different pegs similar to the R1 pegs and found they scraped just as bad but looked cooler than the stock pegs with the rubber, as far as the shock goes get rid of the stocker if you can afford it this one of the biggest mod you can do to this bike it is night and day!!! . I felt like i was riding a pogo stick before the Ohlins

Here are a few pics of the rearsets i fully recommend them they are the cheapest on fleebay but work well and look sweet. I tried different pegs similar to the R1 pegs and found they scraped just as bad but looked cooler than the stock pegs with the rubber, as far as the shock goes get rid of the stocker if you can afford it this one of the biggest mod you can do to this bike it is night and day!!! . I felt like i was riding a pogo stick before the Ohlins

Just gonna re-spring and re-valve the stock shock, if I can. The guy with the Zthou knows a bloke at the local suspender joint, so I'll take him along with me...lol. Those rearsets don't look too bad either. Have to add them to my shopping list also...lol....Can, PCIII, FCE, Shock, Rearsets, Braided lines....*sighs* Best I stop destroying tires and put aside some dosh...lol.

The new stock Z1000 will powerwheelie in 3:rd gear, but it feels heavier than the FZ1, shorter, fatter, and the steering is a bit strange too.

The guy in the vid has gone -2 on the front and gets front wheel lifting in third, but I reckon it's only over lumps and crests. FZ does it too. They are not that dissimilar in specs, the FZ1 and 2010 Zthou.

The difference between the one in the vid and a stock 07 Zthou is night and day. His is a really nice bike to ride, and full Ohlins feels very nice even just on the streets around town. Feels very.......planted. He thinks it's nothing short of spectacular the way the FZ1 pulls out of a turn...lol. Reckons the white lines from the pegs, the sparks and the black lines from the rear tire squirming as I get on the gas are pretty sweet also:).

I can't see the new Z1000 selling to well here it is overpriced @ 19k, i can't comment on performance and handling as i haven't ridden it yet but MCN UK found the engine a bit sleepy in the lower range and heavy compared to it's rivals. Personaly i think it is over- styled and i have never been a fan of the twin exhausts, the biggest problem with the Kwakas is the resale value for example, there are many 09 ZX10r for sale with 5k for 11-12k with all the add-ons crazy!!! alot of bike for not much $. A cheaper way of doing mods is look around for 2nd products there is lots of stuff on ebay and other auction sites, i've scored most my stuff 2nd hand @ 1/2 $ of new.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock shock is pre-historic it is as simple and budget as it comes, i thought it was a sealed unit and could'nt be re-valved? also is it worth spending $ on the stocker when you can put the $ towards something half decent instead. Look at it this way Ohlins has a very health re-sale value, these shocks are as rear as hen's teeth on ebay and get snapped up quickly even on this forum someone will snap it up if you decide to part with the FZ1. I got mine of hardracing.com @ $940 US and with the Aussie $ being strong that is a very good deal, even a Penske can be had @ 700-900 US from Traxxion dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock shock is pre-historic it is as simple and budget as it comes, i thought it was a sealed unit and could'nt be re-valved? also is it worth spending $ on the stocker when you can put the $ towards something half decent instead. Look at it this way Ohlins has a very health re-sale value, these shocks are as rear as hen's teeth on ebay and get snapped up quickly even on this forum someone will snap it up if you decide to part with the FZ1. I got mine of hardracing.com @ $940 US and with the Aussie $ being strong that is a very good deal, even a Penske can be had @ 700-900 US from Traxxion dynamics.

I've been trying to track one down via wreckers, but the price is pretty steep.

With the stocky, they drill and tap a thread for a valve to re-gas, then open it up and re-valve as per normal. Seal her up and gas it, and you've now got a servicable shock. $400-ish. Gold valve the forks (no hurry for this as they are way better than the rear) and I'm all done.

Coming up to the cruddy weather season, so I should be able to put some dough away, 'cause if the sun's out on the weekend, I spend most of my day destroying tires, and at 6 weeks a set it get pretty expensive...lol.

I'm not in a massive hurry otherwise, 'cause I'm already quick enough to have to wait for most of the folk I ride with (which suits me, 'cause I can just cruise on the straight radar infested bits), so I'm not desperate for more. This comes of riding a stock FZ6 with litre bikes. You learn to make up all the ground in the corners...lol.

I also want to do a track day stock, so I've got a benchmark. I'll be able to see exactly how much each mod gives me in seconds at Mallala.

I've been trying to track one down via wreckers, but the price is pretty steep.

With the stocky, they drill and tap a thread for a valve to re-gas, then open it up and re-valve as per normal. Seal her up and gas it, and you've now got a servicable shock. $400-ish. Gold valve the forks (no hurry for this as they are way better than the rear) and I'm all done.

Coming up to the cruddy weather season, so I should be able to put some dough away, 'cause if the sun's out on the weekend, I spend most of my day destroying tires, and at 6 weeks a set it get pretty expensive...lol.

I'm not in a massive hurry otherwise, 'cause I'm already quick enough to have to wait for most of the folk I ride with (which suits me, 'cause I can just cruise on the straight radar infested bits), so I'm not desperate for more. This comes of riding a stock FZ6 with litre bikes. You learn to make up all the ground in the corners...lol.

I also want to do a track day stock, so I've got a benchmark. I'll be able to see exactly how much each mod gives me in seconds at Mallala.

Curious how much you weigh and what sort of out fit will mod the stock shock. Is there some online info? Good stuff!!
PS Found this if anybody interested.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7280-better-shock-less.html

Last edited:
Curious how much you weigh and what sort of out fit will mod the stock shock. Is there some online info? Good stuff!!
PS Found this if anybody interested.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7280-better-shock-less.html

That thread is explaining what they do to the shock to make it serviceable.

The price here will be more like 4-450 shmackeroos I'm hoping.

Currently I'm about 245 lbs with gear.

As soon as find out where and how much etc. I'll post up for sure. I'll be checking with a local mob in the next couple of weeks hopefully, with my mate in tow. Should be able to get some answers for you.

Back