FZ1 and Track Time

I am a track day junkie! I averaged 1 track day a month for about 5 years but I had to give it up at the end of 2008. Because it didn't look like I was going to be able to go for a while, I sold my 2007 GSXR 1000 last summer. I am now ready to go, but the only two bikes I have that could do a track day would be my Hayabusa (which is awesome on big, fast flowing tracks) or my FZ1.

Here is my question: I run the advanced group and was typically in the faster grouping of the fast group. I don't necessarily chase lap times, but I would be lying if I didn't admit that I ran a transponder and looked at my lap times after every session. For those of you that have been to the track, and can push the bike as much as yourself, how do you feel about the FZ1 on the track? Is it still fun when pushing hard? I'm okay with chassis set up and brake upgrades, I'm more concerned with other limitations such as ground clearance and seating position.

I don't see myself going to the track and just riding easy the whole time so truthful input from someone who feels they have really pushed the FZ1 at the track is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that the input received is positive so that I don't feel the need to get another track bike.

Thanks

....anyone?

How about just anyone that has track time on a current sport bike that can compare them to the FZ1. I don't want to go to the track and end up scaring the bejeezus out of myself. The track I want to go to first is big, fast and super fun on a properly set up bike. On one that has set up issues it can be down right scary.

First I am going to say hi to everyone as this is my first post. I run in the fast intermidiate at the track on a Buell XB9R. Took the FZ1 to the track to see what it could do. The track in calgary is in fairly rough shape these days but this is what I found on the FZ.

Lack of clearance, at a fairly relaxed pace for me,with the stock pilot roads I wore off the left peg feeler ball in the first 2 sessions of the day, thing was pretty bent to. Found the bars to be a little high. I was surprized the suspension handled the track surface quite well and the bike transitioned through the chicane quite well. I was worried about the tires but with smooth riding they did well although they did overheat and get greasy but it was predictable. I did still enjoy the day as I was forced to work on being smooth, lines and body position. Just not at the cornering speeds I was used to running.

As for tires, I'll be running 211 N-tech Dunlops which will gain me a little more ground clearance than stock. I just want to have fun without the expense of buying another bike purposely for the track. I enjoy the FZ1 so much on the street that I don't really have any desire to own another sportbike for the street, but I also know that my track time may only be 6 to 10 times a year as long as my hip can tolerate it.

Hi mate i take my FZ1 on the track when i can. I am running Metzeler K3 at present (great for track & road) good sticky rubber, i have rearsets as the standard pegs are too low and you will end up scrapping the sh*t out of them on the track, also gearing 16/47 help with drive. If you start pushing it hard you will find the stock suspension lacking, Ohlins YA906 & racetech internals in the front will do your bike magic.

Here in Australia there is a nakedbike class of racing and the FZ1 has made a good show of it last time I looked the nakedbike lap record at Eastern Creek raceway was held by an FZ1 and the time was very close to the Superbike lap record, I think you will find the FZ1 is very capable with the right mods.

I've done 3 on mine this summer and find it more than capable, especially if set up properly (suspension, rearsets, tires, etc). I've been running Dunlop D211's and love them (190/60 rear) with Traxxion Fork Setup, Penske 8975 and Graves Rearsets. While I run in the Beginner/Novice group I could ride up in Intermediate, but I start feeling funny about pushing my only bike (its my streetbike as well) beyond that 85%.

If find the only thing that limits me is getting far enough off the bike and low with the stock bars and risers. I think the bike with a better rider than me could turn laps just as fast as most, or real close.

At Barber Motorsports Park (Birmingham, AL) a few weeks ago:

Last edited:
I have not been on a track with mine, but ground clearence was an issue for me on the street. Rizoma rear-sets fixed that issue. I addition the Convertibars I have make it easier to get a better bar position for aggressive riding.

This thread is way old, but I'm glad it came up.
I'd like to hear more about the convitibars. I don't want to spend 3-4 Benjamin's to find they won't go low enough. Where does all the extra wire and brake hose go?

I removed my center stand for the weight, not clearance. The bike is capable of a lot more than I am, but I think I could do better if I could get lower and get off the bike easier. This is my daily commuter also, so rear sets are not in the plan. The convertibars are the answer if they work.

I just put a R6 shock on it with shorter dogbones. That will help clearance some, not much. The stronger spring and stiffer damping will help too. Next on my list is the forks.

Convertibars - love mine. I am short, so I rum them closer to the rider seat with tank clearence at full lock being my biggest obstacle. This forced me to trim the innner fairing paners for clearence. To place the bars forward and down, you start having issues with clearence with controls contacting the inner fairing panels. Removing them may provide enough clearence for your preferred bar position. Or you can fab up something to limit the steering lock.

Check out the Rox Risers and Thar bars.

ive been thinking of open lapping my fz1 the end of season here since my race bike is down. i think itll be more capable than ya think. the yamaha school rips them all around miller. pro rider shane turpin races in my club and owned my ass on his street fz1 when i was on my 600. im not very fast but far from slow.

if you havent seen it yet.

Yamaha Champions School FZ-1 Ken Hill / Shane Turpin LVMS IRC - YouTube

Me and Shark from the other forum are headed out to HPR on Sun. the 15th to do some open lapping on our FZ's at Willie B's track day. $99 for 6 half hour sessions. Will be cars running in 2 sessions to our one. So an hour between. Maybe see you there.

Back