FZ1 Dan moto exhaust.

Well there have been fitment issues with that exhaust, but that's to be expected given the price. It's a case of getting what you pay for...

Thanks guys, the noise level is a concern, i need it to be louder than the standard as the cagers simply do not hear it, but not too loud to atract unwanted attention from old bill and his revenue generating pencil.

Looks like i will have to spend a bit more on a quality pipe.

How about the Dobeck fuel mapper? i have heard good reviews of these, anyone got one?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the noise level is a concern, i need it to be louder than the standard as the cagers simply do not hear it, but not too loud to atract unwanted attention from old bill and his revenue generating pencil.

Loud pipes save lives??? Don't believe the hype!

Rider training and experience will trump a loud ass bike any day...

No interest in going back and forth on my end, but loud-and quiet- have their "merritts". To me, a quality exhaust should be of a reasonable db level for everyday riding, but should provide a sound level that cagers will detect if needed. Yosh, Muzzy, Akra, ect. to name a few have a fairly mellow tone at most rpms. Crank the throttle hard and they will reveal themselves. A low quality, cheap, tiny exhaust is only one thing- loud and annoying all the time. I have used my exhaust in a few situations to turn the tables so to speak, an example would be shopping mall parking lots where you have people not paying attention/using cell phones- a quick twist of the throttle will get their attention. I stopped a escalade-driving lady dead in her tracks one day as she attempted to blow through a stop sign while blabbing away on the phone :looseit:. She heard the "RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAT-T-T-T-T" and that was it :eek5:. Something the meager little oem horm could not have done.

BUT.... I agree that the general idea that "loud pipes save lives" is just attitude and folklore. An exhaust that is always loud, attention getting (think hot-bodies slash cut or Jardine "gp" style) and annoying does nothing but make the general perception of motorcyclist's even worse than it already is. It get's bike nights and good roads turned into a bust. Just my humble .02 on the loudness subject.

Doesn't have a smooth "tone". But I will not deny that it is the most reasonably priced exhaust out there. For a track only bike I would run one for sure.... wouldn't hurt nearly as bad as trashing a big-money exhaust.

I always found it interesting that every big exhaust maker has a pipe with a distinct, unique sound. I mean, it's just a canister with packing in it.

Fellas I agree with all you are saying, i am looking for the noise when i want it and not all the time. I have found this to be the best mix in the last 35 years of riding.

I decided on the two brother carbon can with K&N filter and the Dobeck fuel mapper, i collect the can tomorrow and the other bits will follow shortly, I will let yiou know the outcome.

Oh and thanks for the links WolfTamer

Gazza

There is a difference between "nice loud" & "sh*t loud", unfortunately this is the later!!!. There are plenty of pre-loved quality exhausts for on fleebay for not much $.

I'd recommend a Power Commander over the Dobeck. The Dobeck only allows you to add fuel over three generic ranges. The problem with the FZ1 is that most tuners REMOVE fuel over most of the map. A good map and a PC is hard to beat.

Thanks for that pete, yeah my understanding is the Dobecke works similar to up jetting on a carburetta?

I am an old 2 stroke guy who tuned the bikes from the rear (exhaust) and moved forward to the carb and manifold, This was after completing any porting work.

The tuner i spoke to and does a bit of work on my bikes, has had some success with the dobeck but I also read that they make the bike fuel thirsty which backs up what you are saying about adding fuel.

I will look at the power commander after speaking to the local guy who tunes some of the R1 track bikes.

cheers
Gazza

Hi Guys, For anyone interested I found this on an alternative website,

Dobeck V Power Commander.

I've been trying to gather info to make a choice on this for quite a while. I had another couple conversations with LRD and Dobeck yesterday and got some clarification. Believe whatever you want out of it, but I thought it was worth posting.

Dobeck founded DynoJet. For whatever reason they split and Dobeck started Dobeck. The PC built by DJ is a very early attempt at fuel injection control. Basically it castrates the stock ECU and sensors and replaces it with its own logic. The PC determines the injector pulse length by rpm and throttle position ONLY. In other words, all other sensors on your machine, i.e. intake pressure sensor & intake temp sensor are rendered useless. Your machine will no longer compensate for altitude changes. Since inception there have been few, if any, actual changes to the PC. DJ has added some cosmetic changes and LCD displays, communication interfaces, etc. AKA, the PC re-engineered your fuel delivery system and in the process dumbed it down but made it excitingly pretty. Yes, you have full adjustability and can dump more fuel in, but it's pretty crude. The PC can be optimized on a dyno to make a good pull in say 4th gear at particular ambient conditions. You move the machine or swap gears and you are no longer 'right'. It 'works' but it's not 'right'.

The Dobeck II box is, of course, an earlier version of the Dobeck III that is marketed by many 'private label' companies such as LRD, HMF, Two Brothers, and Trinity. The hardware is basically the same between the two generations. The Gen II version is not preferred and here's why: The engineer that programmed the Gen II is no longer with Dobeck and did not put sufficient notes in his lines of code to make tech support, changes, & modifications easy for his successor. Also, the fuel circuits on the Gen II box are not as 'independent' as the circuits on the Gen III box.

Now, onward to the Gen III. The Dobeck Gen III is not sold directly from Dobeck; it is marketed thru private labels only at this point. LRD and HMF are the only 2 that currently have one for the Grizz 700. Two Brothers will have theirs very shortly though. Basicly, the Gen III has new software w new code written in house @ Dobeck. The code is much easier to make changes to since the writer is there and the code is noted well. So the tech support is good if you have a problem. Private labels have an 'engineering' level of mapping where they can make changes to the Gen III boxes that the consumer is unable to access. They do this to help optimize the generic Gen III from Dobeck to their particular pipe. After that there's the consumer level of tuning w the LEDs we're all familiar with by now. (That being said, if you leave all settings 0, you run on the stock ECU's curve.) The Dobeck Gen III's claim to fame is twofold: #1 it utilizes (& doesn't interfere with) all the features made available by your stock ECU, #2 it is 'load sensing'.

#1: All the Dobeck box does is take in the injector signal from the ECU, lengthen it and send it back out. The 'amount of lengthening' depends on the map (in the Dobeck) at both the engineering and consumer levels. Since the stock ECU is utilized, all that research yami put into developing the stock curve is still used 100%. Your machine still automaticly chokes for cold starts and still is altitude compensating. Every feature is retained. The Dobeck merely adds fuel as specified over the stock signal. There's no way in my mind that this could ever hurt your ECU.

#2: This is the fuzzy part I'm still having a hard time grasping, but I'm prettymuch there. I specificly asked this question of the techs @ Dobeck and here's what I gathered. Since there is no actual sensor to determine load, it's derived from 'injector duty cycle'. I think what the Dobeck does is that it looks back over a short term history to see how much 'up time' and how much 'down time' there is on the injector. (The duty cycle.) If your injector is open all the time, this would be 100% duty cycle, or all it can do. So the Dobeck infers that if the duty cycle is say 30% then there must not be a lot of load on the machine. If the duty cycle is say 90%, it realizes there must be a great deal of load. How far it looks back and how good its averaging is?---who knows, you just have to trust their skills. It uses this info to better trim the fuel curve.

So, IMO, the Dobeck is by far the superior product. I don't think there's a clearer choice amongst competing products out there. The Dobeck is more advanced---more refinements, takes advantage of all the stock ECU's features (after all, they designed and made the machine to begin with), is easier to use, has more of a 'private label' following (this means a LOT to me---they trick out machines for a living and choose the Dobeck), is cheaper, and probably has more knowledgeable tech support (from the private label & Dobeck).

I also asked if Dobeck has a future in timing control on ATVs. They said yes, but not in the near future. AKA there's no reason to wait like so many KQ guys have done for the VDI. He said they're dabbling with the like in the auto world currently. Also, the tech said the Grizz's timing is not castrated like the KQ anyway and that Yami does a pretty fair job of giving you all the power available w the correct timing curves stock.

As an aside, for any KQ lurkers out there: the KQ's original ECU was much more potent than the current unit. When the early KQ's were brought in for the reverse gear recall, they were fitted w the denutted ECU in part to protect the weak gear design...

I am not looking to open a debate on this it is purley for information and provides explanations which are sometimes hard to find.

Cheers
Gazza

I am installing a Danmoto carbon on my 07 FZ1 this weekend. I am considering buying the baffle for it just in case I want to tone it down a bit. Does anyone know how well the baffle works on these exhausts as far as quieting them down?

Correction:
After getting feedback from friends on a different web site and from my local yamaha dealer I have decided to hold off on the Danmoto. Sounds like the volume level of this pipe would attract unwanted attention from our local law enforcement agencies. The mechanic at the dealership said "you might as well paint a big bullseye on your bike because the cops will be zeroing in on you on a regular basis." He said the baffle does not help much

So the pipe will have to wait a while, winter project, hopefully a Two Brothers Carbon can in my future.

Last edited:
there was one on my fz1n when i got it but it sounded way too loud although good power gain over standard. now fitted scorpion, much better fit and look and has the db kiler for those late night returns. but like others have said,you get what you pay for.

You need to have a tuned exhaust or it will sound like noise instead of a symphony. The level of tuning is generally figured into the price, not to mention fit and finish.

I bought a set of Bubs Big Shots for my Honda VT1100. It was part of a group purchase where a member went to the manufacturer who developed a specific set of pipes for the model. They were a bit loud, but they sounded very refined too. Not just loud for the sake of being loud. Man, they sounded just like a hot rod, not like you took a drill bit to the stock cans.

Back