FZ1 Dirt Bike

ok guys, heres the deal. i have a 03` fz1. and when i cruise at a steady rpm ie. 5000-7000rpm the exhaust will sound just like a dirt bike...it rev`s like it is a two-stroke. it feels like it is firing on only two cylinders... i can clutch and rev and it still make the same noise... i can pull off to the side of the road and shut it down and restart and it quits.. other times i just pull off and it stops by itself... it does it more when im under power for a long time... ie. a hill or long interstate ride... i have no clue what would cause this... i have spoke to a handfull of FZ riders and they do not know what could cause this... please help... if you have any ideas please email me at [email protected]:doh2:

Last edited:
Has your bike been sitting for a long time? What year is your bike? When did it start doing this? Are you running with your choke on?

I may be completely wrong but when was the last time your carbs were cleaned?

Try putting seafoam in your gas (about 2 ounces/gallon) and try running it on a full tank. This is avaialable in lots of places including Wally World. This stuff works wonders. And there are no ill effects of using it. I have a 2003 too and mine is running better after the seafoam treatment.

check the EXUP cables for proper specs -- also check the airfilter to make sure you don't have any debris that could be restricting the airflow.....

I say this, because I had similar issues, but intermittent in hot weather, though it was bad gas. Did the above and back to normal...

Option 2: seafoam
Option 3: yank 'em and clean out the innards....
Option 4: recently replace plugs -- get the plugs wires seated correctly?

Last edited:
Back