Fz1 help

So i am looking to get a bike other than what i have right now, an 02 R6.

I love the supersport bike and how it handles is great, the power is awesome, and i have no problem being on it for long hours all weekend (my girlfriend on the other hand...).

So I am looking at some FZ1's and FZ6's.

I have looked around and know that i want a 2006 at the oldest, and probably a 2007+

I looked at a 2009 with a 190/55 rear yesterday and rode it around in a parking lot, the guy didn't want to let me test ride it at all, and noticed it was a pretty tall bike. I am about 5'6" (5'7" on a good day!) and feel perfectly comfortable on my R6, didn't know if this one was just from the tire or if they're all about like this.

I mostly just want to know how big the changes in '07 were and if it completely got rid of the "throttle snag", how the power/handling compare to an R6 or similar I4 600cc supersport, and if there are anything specific to look for as far as defects/common problems on certain models/years besides the '06 throttle.
I guess along with that, how bad is the '06 throttle issue? I've read you can get rid of it with some upgrades, but i plan on having a stock bike. Is it just something you get used to? just a surprise if your not ready for it?

Thanks in advance!

All the Gen2 FZ1s have fuel cut. Have the ECU reprogrammed (re-flash EEPROM) to get rid of it and other restrictions and you will be rewarded with a much better motorcycle.

The 06 and 07 had some problems. Frame cracks have been reported on some 06's. although it is being covered by Yamaha, it would still be a PITA to have he frame replaced. There have also been some reports of weak valve stems on 06-07 FZ1's that caused Yamaha to change valve part # for 08. This is rare but still something to worry about on a high mileage bike. And of course the infamous throttle snatch. Early bikes seem to suffer from this most. There were ecu updates that made it better but it wasn't totally solved until 2011, which was the last update. I have a 2012 and it does not suffer from throttle snatch. With the info I just gave you, I would look for a 2008 or newer to avoid some possible headaches in the future.

Back