Fz1 oem tires any good?

I've read a lot about how these 221s don't perform but I find that they perform better than I am willing to push the bike. Maybe if I were to play on the track I would feel differently but at my stage in life I would rather pass on that. (Old bones break easier and take longer to mend.)

Mine lasted 8500 miles. I am owner 3. Owner 1 rode it for 151 miles. Owner 2 was 70. He rode it for 2739 miles. His grown sons rode the OEMs hard in the Auburn, CA foothills. If I had it new, they might have lasted 10k.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago with Conti Motions ($230 OTD Installed). I may be testing them in Lake Tahoe in June.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago with Conti Motions ($230 OTD Installed). I may be testing them in Lake Tahoe in June.

I've run a couple of sets of the Motions and found them acceptable. Rear tire wore out a little prematurely but stuck well. One peculiar thing with the tires, if you let go of the bars when riding a small oscillation would start and you would never feel it with hands on the grips. This was on my FZ6 and I did buy a set for my FZ1 which I still have to install.

Yes, they came with either, but I think most got the Dunlops. Mine also came with the Pilots and I had no complaints about them.

I just picked up my 06 FZ1 and only has 1200 miles on it and has the original Michelin tires on it. I was going to change them out because of age but the tires still work very we'll so maybe I'll hold off.

While I can't attest to how good the OEM Dunlops are compared to other tires today but unless my memory has faded they are head and shoulders better than any tire I had 30 plus years ago.:dontknow::nothing:

I just picked up my 06 FZ1 and only has 1200 miles on it and has the original Michelin tires on it. I was going to change them out because of age but the tires still work very we'll so maybe I'll hold off.

Well I would replace them as well due to age, but they are probably still good if you're not really pushing the bike. I replaced mine last year at 9500 miles and they still looked good, but I just didn't trust them due to age.

While I can't attest to how good the OEM Dunlops are compared to other tires today but unless my memory has faded they are head and shoulders better than any tire I had 30 plus years ago.:dontknow::nothing:

Oh I'm sure they would run circles around tires from 30 years ago!!!

A bit of an update, i only got 4000kms out of the dunlops, the front tire was down to the wear bars on the left side and the right side had a couple mms left, the rear was down to the wear bars all around, i dont know what happened to get so low milege i always kept the air psi at 38 in the rear and 36 in the front like i have been doing the last 8 years on every bike i have owned, my ninja 10r has pilot powers and i get 8000kms out of a front tire and 4500kms out of a rear and i ride it far more aggressivly than my fz1,anyways i put a set of pilot road 2s on her and im hoping to get at least 10000kms out of them.

Well I just ran a full Trackday on mine with 2k miles on them in the Alabama heat. No issues, no close calls, no nothing. Some people are drama queens. They are not race tire but I wouldn't call them shit either.

ive ripped them faster than most should go in a canyon. they inspire zero confidence for sure but i didnt wreck on them either. they will still be coming off soon and given away.

ive ripped them faster than most should go in a canyon. they inspire zero confidence for sure but i didnt wreck on them either. they will still be coming off soon and given away.

They didn't pass tech for my next trackday at Road Atlanta so I got a set of Dunlop 211's. All I can say is "Whoa Baby!" Things are like cat on carpet. Talk about INSPIRING confidence!

Back