FZ1 Turn Signals

Hello all!

I am currently shopping around for some new turn signals for my 2009 FZ1 N. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent set of turn signals. I had a bad experience ordering off ebay and ended up with some cheap Hong Kong garbage that never worked right. I don't really want to spend too much money (I'm a grad student on a budget) but I do want quality.

I am considering the Yamaha turn signals here:
Yamaha LED Flashers | Yamaha LED Indicators | Yamaha LED Blinkers
but I can't commit to $100 signals quite yet. If anyone has other suggestions I would appreciate it.

If you buy cheap LED signals, you need to buy a resistor or they will flash too quickly. The better LED ones have them built in. I can't remember where I bought mine, but there's a link somewhere on this forum. The resistor was only $20 shipped or so.

If you buy cheap LED signals, you need to buy a resistor or they will flash too quickly. The better LED ones have them built in. I can't remember where I bought mine, but there's a link somewhere on this forum. The resistor was only $20 shipped or so.

Yea, most LED signals will flash too fast, but I would recommend replacing the stock flasher relay instead of adding a resistor. They have flasher relays that are plug-n-play and are designed for the loads of the LED signals. It makes for a cleaner installation IMHO.

Yea, most LED signals will flash too fast, but I would recommend replacing the stock flasher relay instead of adding a resistor. They have flasher relays that are plug-n-play and are designed for the loads of the LED signals. It makes for a cleaner installation IMHO.

Agreed on this. The resistors are silly, they get hot because they basically just waste the energy. If you change the relay, it doesn't need a load that an incandescent bulb puts out. Makes it super easy and you don't have to worry about the resistors getting hot. Plus, doesn't add to your wiring. The one I had on my 6R was this one, and I think it fits all Yamaha Sport bikes:

http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm

Agreed on this. The resistors are silly, they get hot because they basically just waste the energy. If you change the relay, it doesn't need a load that an incandescent bulb puts out. Makes it super easy and you don't have to worry about the resistors getting hot. Plus, doesn't add to your wiring. The one I had on my 6R was this one, and I think it fits all Yamaha Sport bikes:

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

Yea, that one will fit the FZ1 w/o any issues.

I have to agree with NJFZ1. I messed around with resistors like crazy and they didn't work, went and bought a Narva LED relay $30 AUD and was spot on!

Just an FYI.....these folks are closer to you: https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/...essories&Class=Sport Bike&Year=2011&Model=FZ8

If I didn't get the ones from the above link, would have gone for the protons. No matter what, I would still replace the stock relay with the ELF-1(direct plug n play replacement). Edit: Protons have their own flash rate settings....shouldn't need relay.

I can also vouch for the quality of the Yamaha LED blinkers. They look excellent and perform great. You should know, these do not come with the yamaha connectors (bullet style only). They DO come with the adapter plates for the yamaha openings.

Last edited:
I went for the Yamaha LEDs front and rear - very pleased with them.

I did try the Protons on the front but was disappointed with their look in real life - very agricultural compared to their marketing photos and for the price I expected better. I was also worried they were not suitably visible from the front. Sent them straight back and went Yamaha LED.

+1 on a new relay, don't bother with resistors - they make zero sense.

Hello all!

I am currently shopping around for some new turn signals for my 2009 FZ1 N. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent set of turn signals. I had a bad experience ordering off ebay and ended up with some cheap Hong Kong garbage that never worked right. I don't really want to spend too much money (I'm a grad student on a budget) but I do want quality.

I am considering the Yamaha turn signals here:
Yamaha LED Flashers | Yamaha LED Indicators | Yamaha LED Blinkers
but I can't commit to $100 signals quite yet. If anyone has other suggestions I would appreciate it.

The Yamaha LEDs are awesome, I have a full set on my FZ1N.

Definitely run a dedicated LED flasher unit to avoid overloading your stock flasher circuit.

I never saw the need for a new relay I replaced my signals long ago and they flash faster than normal but I feel like it is more visible that way. Figured it couldn't hurt with a dark bike with tiny signals

This is what I went with.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pda8U1D9gtE"]2007 FZ-1 Protons Front and Rear, Integrated Taillight, and Headlight Pod Lights with ELFR-1 - YouTube[/ame]

Proton signals front and rear set to strobe. I had to add the flasher relay due to the fact that the rear Proton signals don't have the running light wire connected. Without the running light connected the rears just did two odd flashes and were out of sync with the front ones.

Later I added the front headlight pod lights, courtesy of Cobalt. ( Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum - View Profile: Cobalt )

Even later I added the integrated taillight, due to the fact that my girlfriend said the rear Proton signals were not that visible. I have my rear Protons mounted on an Evotech fender eliminator and they face to the side. I bent them out a little to face the rear, somewhat, but it isn't quite enough.

Here's the links to all the crap I added and where I bought the crap, except for the front headlight pod lights, you'll have to search Cobalts posts for that install.

Protons: Proton Flush Mounts Turn Signals Yamaha FZ1 - Indysuperbikes

Flasher Relay: Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

Integrated Taillight: 06-07 Yamaha FZ1 Integrated LED Tail Light Taillight | eBay

Back