FZ1 vs FZ8

hmmm, well jspansel had the fz8 for a while.... though he never had an fz1, he went from the '6R to the R6, to the FZ8... so he should be able to give you some insight.

you say not new... what have you had in the past?

FZ1, no contest! Same frame with better suspension and better engine. Also, the FZ1 has been on the market longer, so there are a whack of great mods that have been perfected over the years. If you prefer the naked look of the FZ8, do
The Euro conversion and you're set. The only advantage I can see to an FZ8 is the better range between fuel stops.

My past bikes have been a 1986 fZ600 and a 1986 fazer and tons of dirtbikes. i have been leaning towards the FZ1. I rode a friends brand new one back in 2002. Life is getting shorter so I want to get back on a bike while I can still do it.

Another 86 FZ600 owner! Welcome :)

If you are to believe the statistics from owners on Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG, the FZ8 actually doesn't get significantly higher fuel mileage in the real world. Coupled with the 0.8 gallon (3L) smaller tank on the FZ8, it will likely see the same or less range as well.

So, get the FZ1

I don't have a bike yet and I am not new to bikes. My ? is if yous had to choose between a FZ8 and a FZ1, what would you choose and why? Not considering HP.

Hummm....if I were you I think I'd buy a new 'Busa with a Turbo. I mean sh*t, if you've never had a bike go BIG!!!!
Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Have ridden FZ8 and FZ1 back to back last year .... very similar in feel although the FZ8 felt punchier due to difference in power curve. Back then you could pick up a brand new FZ1 that was a couple of years old (2009 model) for about the same price as a current model year FZ8. For me it was a no brainer .... more power, fairing, and better suspension made the choice easy. Don't know how the pricing delta is on these two models in today's real world.

I guess it depends on what you want in a bike....and what you weigh, your experience level, ETC.....
I think it may be a weight thing, and how you are gonna ride it.
95% commuting + light weight, FZ8...(less willing to mod?)
More weight and serious riding..FZ1...(more willing to mod?)

I just went through this scenario. I traded my 2008 Yamaha Raider S into my local shop and ended up with the FZ1.

They wanted a fresh out of the crate, 0 miles, 2011 FZ8 for $7600 OTD.

The 2010 FZ1 I ended up with was used with 713 miles (repo). The listed price was $8999. I got a straight trade with my Raider.

When I test rode the FZ8, I was SHOCKED! It was impressively powerful, has a great powerband, agile, comfortable, looks great, and affordable. And then I test rode the FZ1. HOLY CRAP some more! This thing was way more balanced both in the actual feeling of the bike but also throughout the powerband. It was a lot smoother with the way it rode and shifted through the gears. As someone already mentioned before, it's been on the market for awhile so it's got a reputation as a solid bike. The other big thing that sent me over the edge on the FZ1 is the passenger seat. There are grab rails for my girl, and the seat has a bit more of a contour for her butt. Also, the seat is angled a bit too far forward on the FZ8 with no real contour, so she'd be sliding into my back all the time vs. the FZ1 where she might be able to hold herself up a bit more.

When I went home and checked insurance, the FZ1 was about $10 cheaper per month than the FZ8. This also played into my consideration.

If you can get the FZ1, I say get that one. You will definitely be happier with the additional 200cc in the long run, although the FZ8 is a great bike.

I guess it really all comes down to affordability as they are almost an identical bike.

You can find a nice condition used Fz1 GII for less than $5k. Can you do that with the 8? For the same $ as FZ8 you can have a seriously modded FZ1 with engine performance, handling, comfort etc all head and shoulders above the 8 (not to mention the stock GII)

I will be going with the FZ1. Unless I find a really good deal on one now, I will get one in the spring. I'm not afraid of the power of the Fz1, I just wanted other opinions. Thanks Guys

I will be going with the FZ1. Unless I find a really good deal on one now, I will get one in the spring. I'm not afraid of the power of the Fz1, I just wanted other opinions. Thanks Guys

I got both in the stable. The 1 is mine the 8 is hers. Both have pros and cons.
About the 10 bucks a month for insurance... Umm my 1 is about half of the 8.
8 is sexier than the 1
8 is lighter than the 1
8 has a more manageable powerband.

1 obviously far superior in power
1 has tons more aftermarket stuffs
1 has cheaper parts cuz its been around for a while

All in all I think they are both awesome bikes and I dont think you would be disappointed either way.

Back