FZ1 vs. MT-10

Any thoughts out there if the MT-10 Streetfighter be an upgrade from the FZ1? I'm not sure at this point there be much of difference, but then there's no MT-10 in the flesh in Upstate New York for comparison. MT-10 does has my interest.

While I'm sure the new MT-10 would be just fine as a tourer & commuter, I'd actually give the nod to to the existing FZ1 for that duty. Better wind protection, more relaxed ergonomics, softer, centre stand, etc.

I guess it remains to be seen as the bike has only just broken ground here in N.A.

While I'm sure the new MT-10 would be just fine as a tourer & commuter, I'd actually give the nod to to the existing FZ1 for that duty. Better wind protection, more relaxed ergonomics, softer, centre stand, etc.

I guess it remains to be seen as the bike has only just broken ground here in N.A.

I second that

Traded my 2012 FZ1S for an MT10 last week. Quick review:

Pros:
The engine is just phenomenal. It just pulls in every gear and sounds fantastic, even with the stock pipe.
With all the electronic wizardry it really makes the FZ1 look like an antique. Traction control, slipper clutch, ABS and the switchable engine modes are a welcome addition.
The suspension and brakes and amazing. The FZ1 always had good brakes but these are a completely different level. The suspension, whilst setup firm as standard is also high spec, and it shows in the ride. Steering damper also helps when the front end goes a bit bumpy and "light".
Handling is great, very flickable. Similar ride and feel to a big supermoto but without the long suspension travel. Might be due to the higher seat ;-)
Love the dash, also having handlebar mounted toggle switch so you can select things on the go.
Cons:
Fuel consumption - The fuel light started flashing at 180kms and I filled up at 200kms. My FZ1 did 240kms before the light started flashing and I filled up around the 250kms mark and always have a few litres left in the tank.
Front end of the bike is going to be difficult to keep clean with all the nooks and crannies.
Only one headlight comes on, hate that on a bike. The FZ1S has awesome lights but not tested the MT10 at night yet.

Summary:
In my view it's not a replacement for an FZ1S, which is a comfortable sports tourer. The MT10 is more a comfortable sports bike. There are a few compromises if you owned the FZ1S for it's all round touring abilities whilst still being fun in the twisties. However, the MT10 is an absolute blast if you are happy to lose a few KMS from the fuel range. The engine is just superb, the handling sublime, brakes awesome and you can also use the excuse that it has cruise control to justify is as a tourer to your partner...lol :)

Recommended.....muchly :)

I've looked at the MT-10. I like the look, but at the moment I don't want to ride it for a few reasons.

1. I want to see what the aftermarket does with it. I think power wise it could be a step backwards from a modded FZ1, so I will wait to see what become aviable.
2. The cost. There quite expensive over here, so I'd rater wait for a ex-demo or a 2nd hand one to appear.
3. It doesn't come in white.

I sat on a demo MT10 today at Bikebiz here in Parramatta, Sydney. I was able to flat foot it, which was a bonus as I'm not that tall.
It has a very narrow seat which doesn't splay your legs out too much.
The demo bike had a very small Akra muffler with link pipe that removed the cat. The salesman started it up and f@#k me it was loud.
Sitting on it, it felt really wide but all the ride reports say that that it's quite nimble and the salesman also pointed this out.
I'll have to take one for a test ride but at $18,800 ride away, I think I'll also wait for a second hand one. That's way too much for a naked bike that's not European or exotic.

I'll wait to ride one but a modded FZ1 has as much power and torque at the wheel so that's not really a consideration. Anti lock brakes are a plus for me and factory cruise also but I have added cruise to my FZ1 anyway. The looks are hard for me to get over, I just find it butt ugly. Interesting that Ballmead could flat foot it. That is a big plus for the MT10, I'm tippy toed on my FZ1. In the end, I love my FZ1 and have customised it to suit me so the MT10 will have a hard job to win me over.

My 2009 FZ1S was modded, full system, power commander, airbox, etc, but I kept my 2012 FZ1S completely stock as far as the engine goes. The MT10 is wayyyyy faster than both. Take one for a test ride and you will just have to get one like me...that cross plane engine, it's just phenomenal :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I saw the specs first...crossplane engine, traction control, ABS...and suddenly I thought my perfect-for-me bike has a future replacement. Then I saw the pictures and became less sure...the front end bug-eyed looks awful to me. If it had the old FZ1 headlights and front-end fairing/windscreen it would be perfect.

The looks are better in person than they are in photos. I'm surprised at how light it feels given that it is only 20 to 30 pounds lighter than the Gen2 (specs). I would have liked to test ride but the dealer has every one sold. Looks like I may need to wait a couple years for a left over.

Back