Fz1N 2009 Starting Problems

Hi all

I have a 2009 fz1n with approx 3000miles on the clock. I know a sin for such a quality bike.

The other day I went out for a 50mile ride and when I came back and de-clothed I went to start it up to move into the garage and nothing. I pressed the button several times before it suddenly decided to leap into life.

I have checked the battery this morning and all is good there.

Please point me in the right direction so I can sort this out

Many thanks
Ihmix

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply, I have just checked all wiring but all seems ok kill switch seems to be ok.

Just checking immobiliser is cutting off as we speak.

No solenoid clicking or anything just dead then after a few mins just seems to start. Weird

It could be as simple as a dirty starter switch, or a bad battery/starter lead connection. With as few miles as you have on the bike, it obviously doesn't get much use and that can lead to issues with switches and cable connections. It's probably not a mechanical issue.

Hi
The bike is kept under a cover and is in showroom condition all wires seem ok and switch ok. Imobaliser functioning correctly and management light going off as expected.

I will keep an eye on it and report back if anything becomes obvious which might help someone in the future.

Cheers
Ihmix

And check and see if it starts ok when in neutral....if it doesn't then your interlock switches (clutch, sidestand) might be sticking or have an electrical contact issue.

Hi All,

Just been out to start bike and nothing battery is in great condition according to tester all switches moving freely but nothing.

Really struggling now, not even attempting to turn over and no click from solonoid. I refuse to believe nobody has had a similar issue.

This is a 2009 fz1n with less than 3000 miles on the clock.

Please please help

Thanks
Ihmix

your going to have to start checking the fuses / connections .

If it were me i would then lift the tank and check the block connectors from the ignition , there are two or three on the right hand side as you sit on the bike to the rear of tank , after that it gets more involved , starter relay etc , at a guess sounds like a bad connection

keep us posted

Hi all

I have a 2009 fz1n with approx 3000miles on the clock. I know a sin for such a quality bike.

The other day I went out for a 50mile ride and when I came back and de-clothed I went to start it up to move into the garage and nothing. I pressed the button several times before it suddenly decided to leap into life.

I have checked the battery this morning and all is good there.

Please point me in the right direction so I can sort this out

Many thanks
Ihmix

I also have a 09 FZ1N. Perfect - never a problem at 11,000km. Very puzzled by your starting problem and can't help but think it is something simple." I pressed the button several times before it suddenly decided to leap into life." Is the starter button making a poor contact or any of the other electrical start/cut out contacts. I use CRC CO Contact Cleaner to "fix" electrical contacts. It's used for cleaning computer circuit boards and precision electronic equipment. It is NOT the same stuff one would spray on a door hinge eg WD40. Safe on plastics etc. so you could try, for a small cost, spraying the stater button, cut out's at side stand but not sure where the neutral cut out is located. If you do this - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. Dries very fast then try again. Sometimes it can be a dirty contact - worth a try before the Yamaha shop. The kill switch is off......I assume. Cheers.

Last edited:
same

just had the same thing happened to me today. stop the bike at home, then it just woulnt start again, press the start button, just reset itself, with a weird noise. i jump start it on second gear, start allright, then while riding i put it off and try to start int over, just would not do it, after several attempt, it works again. i think it an electrical problem, will have the mech check it up. one thing i noticed, now bike start just when i first got it, no need to press start for more than 2sec to get it started. fz1 n 09 model 40,000km

Back