FZ1N 2012 Service Intervals?

Hi All,

As the thread suggests, what are the service intervals? I'm hearing mixed answers as some say it's every 6K and some say it's 10K kms.

Thanks in advance.

No these are copper and last 20K klms. The iridium are CR9EIX and last twice as long.
You can buy a set from UK on EBay for $50 AUD delivered. The iridium plugs cost nearly double that here in Australia.

Sent from my HTC_X9u using Tapatalk

No these are copper and last 20K klms. The iridium are CR9EIX and last twice as long.
You can buy a set from UK on EBay for $50 AUD delivered. The iridium plugs cost nearly double that here in Australia.

Sent from my HTC_X9u using Tapatalk

I use the iridium CR9EIX plugs. NGK reckon they're good for 60,000km. They're a bit more expensive but given their service life means that you only have to replace them half as often make them a bargain in my opinion.

Last edited:
I use the iridium CR9EIX plugs. NGK reckon they're good for 60,000km. They're a bit more expensive but given their service life means that you only have to replace them half as often make them a bargain in my opinion.

NGK also says that the CR9E stock plugs are good to 48K Km.

I just replaced my spark plugs with the NGK CR9EIX. I had 32K Km on the old plugs and they were worn but still usable. I went with the iridium because dropping the radiator to reach the plugs is a PITA. Now I can do a coolant and spark plug change at the recommended coolant change interval.

BTW in the USA Yamaha recommends a spark plug change every 13K Km.

Last edited:
NGK also says that the CR9E stock plugs are good to 48K Km.

I just replaced my spark plugs with the NGK CR9EIX. I had 32K Km on the old plugs and they were worn but still usable. I went with the iridium because dropping the radiator to reach the plugs is a PITA. Now I can do a coolant and spark plug change at the recommended coolant change interval.

BTW in the USA Yamaha recommends a spark plug change every 13K Km.

I assumed that my car had Iridium and didn't change them for about 170,000 km. Pulled them and checked, stuffed but regular plugs.

Rather than start another one, the owners manual that I got with my 2013/4 FZ1-NE indicates brake fluid every 2 years and coolant every 3, seems like excessive changes or is this set up for "dealer" changes under warranty or other works and hence more money vs what you would do yourself at something more realistically

What is a realistic change intervals for these

I've just been quoted $500 for a friggin 2nd service under warranty for "adjustments" oil/filter change, coolant and brake fluid change, stuff which I could have done myself for 1/5th of that cost, ah well one more service and warranty is finished and bye bye to excessive service charges

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the coolant suggestion but brake fluid every 2 years is not unreasonable. I think if your bike is exposed to the elements for long periods of time (moisture) or you are very hard on the brakes, it would be prudent to change at least every 2 years.

What about kilometre intervals for these changes as generally I only ride the summer months, rarely any commuting and rarely in winter unless its a good day,so two /three years would not amount to a large mileage

It is time for most fluids as they degrade over time, irrespective of mileage. I replace my brake fluid every 2 years myself. I get the dealer to do the oil and coolant as they have the means to dispose of it correctly.

Even with synthetics like a dot 5 which is not hygroscopic, as per the coolant as long as its topped up but changing it every 3 years in my case would equate to fairly low kms, how many kms rather than time would be reasonable, last bike I had didn't have cooling issues, air was free.

As per oil disposal, most dumps like Solo at Morphett Rd North Plympton will let you dispose of up to 20 litres of oil (free of charge) per week, my car takes 10 litres of oil per 5,000kms and thats where mine goes

Back