FZ1N Suspension Settings .

has anyone played about with their suspension setting's on their FZ1N ? i find the ride to be plush & on the soft side (comfy) , so i added 2 turns in on the rear shocks preload & 2 turns in on the front preload . its a little more stiffer now , but i havent played with my rebound or compression .
anyone found the magic formula ?

suspension settings

I don't know if it's ok to post links here but this site pats page has some good info. The suspension settings page I think an 06" fz1 was used but kind of adapted it to mine an 08'.
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/suspensionadjustment.html
I couldn't find a rebound damping adjustment for the rear on the 08' only preload an compression and the manuel doesn't mention 1. I just kind of used this as a guideline for heavy rider as I wiegh 260#.
This is also a good site for suspension settings and understanding it.
Motorcycle Suspension Tuning, Sport Bike Suspension Settings & Setup at Sport Rider
Also an important setting to start with is setting static sag(how much your bikes suspension settles with you on board, This page will show you how to adjust it.
Ask the Geek - Set Your Static Sag - Sport Rider Magazine
Other than that setting suspension settings is more of an art than a science at what works well for each riders weight, rideing style etc. Hope this helps cueist

I'd recommend you grab a friend, set the static sag... and then play with the rebound and compression settings by feel. There's no right answer for compression and rebound settings, but there is a right answer for the static sag.

I have thrown away the budget rear shock and fitted an Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins fork springs. The suspension is the only bad part of an otherwise awesome motorcycle.

I have thrown away the budget rear shock and fitted an Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins fork springs. The suspension is the only bad part of an otherwise awesome motorcycle.

I would have to agree, a Ohlins or Penske, atleast for the rear really changes the bike.
Joe

Hey Guys...

When I picked up my bike I thought the first thing I would do when I got home was to adjust the suspension from factory standard to something more suitable to my weight (100kg)...

I was pretty surprised that the owners manual did not actually have suggested settings for weight ranges. Both my new Buell and Ninja had this and it was a great starting point for setting up the suspension, and in my case I was able to leave them at the suggested settings.

Enigma :Rockon:

since Im riding lot of time with a backseat I ajusted my suspension more firmer than I normally ajust for my size but its hard and lot of headache to ajust im lost in the clicks of rebound, I get it all the way to full in position (harder) and get down by 2 and the preload isnt ajusted to the max (harder) cause its was way too stiff for me. my actual girlfriend weight 240lbs and im 155, that's sux..... actually to ride with :confused: my rear tire is at 42 psi and the front at 36 by the way. + im 5'6 and I have to get lowering dogbones and remove the center stand because its was dangerous when Im taking slow turn ...welll..:(

Setting your sag is a science. Here are some good videos.

It's not just a click here or a click there :nono:

Part 1 : Setting your Sag

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwX8TOn1YY]YouTube - Setting Sag -GSX-R600 part 1[/ame]

Part 2 : Setting your sag

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2agFfQC3wo]YouTube - Setting Sag - GSX-R600 part 2[/ame]

:nothing:

I know it's an old thread but relevant whatever the date.

BTW those videos above are awesome.

These are my settings for an 85 Kg or 187 Pounds rider with full gear.

Front Stock forks:

Front preload: 3 full lines showing (or 4 machined grooves)
32mm Riders sag
Front Rebound: 14 clicks out from full hard
Front Comp: 10 clicks out from full hard

Rear Nitron NTR Sport shock:

Rear rebound 9 clicks out from full hard
37mm riders sag

Last edited:
Back