Gel Grips

I tried gel grips to help with vibrations but they did not help much. There are some other threads on the forum that you can find about vibrations that may help you out.

I played the vibration hunting game earlier in the year. Here's a quick summary of what I found.

1. Do a throttle body sync. Perform the sync both at idle (1100-1300) and also at 4000 rpm. Use a Morgan Carbtune or there are threads on making a homemade manometer. It's best to do the throttle body sync after a major maintenance, I did mine after an oil change, coolant change, and spark plug change. Probably should have done the air filter too but it looked good.

2. Grips. I switched to a cheap ProGrip dual compound gel grip. Not a fan but they are better than the previous grips on the bike.

3. Gloves. Find a pair of gloves with a gel insert.

4. Fill the bars. I have not done this but I've read several threads on filling the bars from using sand, silicone to something called Bar Snake (Barsnake).

5. Bar End Weights. I have swapped my bar end weights to a lighter one than the factory for cosmetic reasons. Definitely the vibration is worse with the lighter weights. I would say the factory weight is probably the heaviest you will find. I think there was one more company that had heavier bar ends but I can't remember right now.

I played the vibration hunting game earlier in the year. Here's a quick summary of what I found.

1. Do a throttle body sync. Perform the sync both at idle (1100-1300) and also at 4000 rpm. Use a Morgan Carbtune or there are threads on making a homemade manometer. It's best to do the throttle body sync after a major maintenance, I did mine after an oil change, coolant change, and spark plug change. Probably should have done the air filter too but it looked good.

2. Grips. I switched to a cheap ProGrip dual compound gel grip. Not a fan but they are better than the previous grips on the bike.

3. Gloves. Find a pair of gloves with a gel insert.

4. Fill the bars. I have not done this but I've read several threads on filling the bars from using sand, silicone to something called Bar Snake (Barsnake).

5. Bar End Weights. I have swapped my bar end weights to a lighter one than the factory for cosmetic reasons. Definitely the vibration is worse with the lighter weights. I would say the factory weight is probably the heaviest you will find. I think there was one more company that had heavier bar ends but I can't remember right now.

I went through a similar exercise which reduced most of my vibration compliants:
  • TB sync
  • Black Kuryakyn ISO grips with bar end weights (I could not stand the plain ProGrips)
  • I always use gloves
  • And I filled my bar with 12 gauge lead shot

i get no vibrations .. or I just don't feel them ..

I have baja foam grips , they last about one set of (sport) tires and I absolutely love them, be careful they are addictive :)

Back