Gen 1 Blinker mod using tail lights

Anyone ever hear of a Gen 1 Blinker mod using the stock tail lights? I swear I saw a bike with the dual tail lights that functioned as brake lights and blinkers as there is a left and right light. Anyone know how to do this? It would be handy as I am looking for used hard bags and the blinkers are so far forward and in the way...

On every bike I buy, at a minimum, I wire in dual element rear turn signals to function as brake/turn. It's about safety and being seen by cagers. Just going down the road at the speed limit (or faster :)), I could really care less if the cager sees me from the rear, I'm probably going faster then he is anyway. BUT when I'm STOPPING or slowing, I want to make it planely obvious that I'm stopping.

IF I ever get pulled over for it, I hope the cop will understand that it's not a "custom" thing or a "style" thing but a safety thing!

Wiring in whatever light you want is pretty easy. Just find the brake light wire (or left or right turn signal wire, or whatever function you're after) and a ground and splice the new light into it. LED's or standard 1157s would work fine but be careful not to use halogens or high power/high current lights or you may overload the circuit and wiring. If you want to use a high power light, a lighting relay would be needed and the wiring would get a little more complex.

Last edited:
Anyone ever hear of a Gen 1 Blinker mod using the stock tail lights? I swear I saw a bike with the dual tail lights that functioned as brake lights and blinkers as there is a left and right light. Anyone know how to do this? It would be handy as I am looking for used hard bags and the blinkers are so far forward and in the way...

You are talking about integrated turn signals.....
you can buy the brake light kit, or just the wiring.....only works with 2 bulb set-up like ours.....very common.
I just picked up a kit on ebay I was going to use if I go to the Holeshot high pipe.

Thanks guys, Yeah I was thinking about using small LEDs as I want hard bags sooner or later and these stock blinkers are right in the way. Thanks for all the info guys! 85vmax, do you have a link on that kit so I can check it out? I searched FZ1 blinker on e-bay bit didn't see anything like that. That's the kit that turns the tail lights into blinkers correct?

i had that set up on my bike with the stock signals then went to the led set up i bought on ebay if you want the part for the stock lights i could send it to you...let me know

Back