Gen 1 Replacement seat?

Anyone have some experience or recommendations on replacing the stock seat on the Gen 1 for a more comfortable one?

I rode this bike most of the last 12 months and the seat was always fine for my 34 mile commute, I only noticed it being uncomfortable on longer rides...

Then I went into the hospital, lost a ton of weight, and much of that has fallen off my butt.

Now My rear starts to get sore about 15-20 min into my commute, and goes sorta numb.

I thought the seat would be better if I weighed less, but I am guessing my larger rear end used to make it better.....

Believe me I did a search before creating this post and came back with only info on Gen 2 seats.

Here are a few to start:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/1619-fz1-seat-comfort.html

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/1619-fz1-seat-comfort.html

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-mods/14433-corbin-vs-sargent.html

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-mods/10568-seat-comfort.html

Are you narrowing your search to Gen 1 mods? I searched the general forum and search the name of the seat that you are looking at.
There are only a few options.....in no particular order:
Corbin
Sargent
Top Sellery
Yamaha Comfort Seat
Adding a gel insert either on top or under the fabric
DIY

Seriously, not one person who viewed this post has replaced a Gen 1 seat for a more comfy aftermarket one?
:fencers:

I did this mod to my stock seat and it not only made for a comfortable ride,but it lowered the seat about 1.5 inches. I needed the height reduction without messing up the handling. It also stopped the tendency to slide into the tank.

Skiman's Seat Mod

+1 on the Skiman seat mod. One of the best mods ever done to my gen 1, and definitely worth a try before the other more expensive options.

I would think less foam would make my problem worse. I don't mind being close to the tank, but my rear end starts to hurt and go numb from what I believe to be lack of cushion.

Seat

I took alot of foam out of my seat to get the shape I wanted , and I've never felt that I didn't have enough seat compression or cushion. With the original seat I would get hot spots within an hour or so, shaving the foam gave a wider seat area with a slight slope aft which made for a vast improvement. The only caution I would add is you will lose some seat height though.

I took alot of foam out of my seat to get the shape I wanted , and I've never felt that I didn't have enough seat compression or cushion. With the original seat I would get hot spots within an hour or so, shaving the foam gave a wider seat area with a slight slope aft which made for a vast improvement. The only caution I would add is you will lose some seat height though.

Actually, loosing seat height good. It will allow you to get shorter dog bones to raise the rear if you have long legs. This will improve handling. It will also restore the tendency to slid forward a bit,if you like that.:thinking:

will the wider sitting area help with lack of cushion? I recently lost a large amount of weight in a short period and most of it came off my butt, so I notice the pain faster than before.

will the wider sitting area help with lack of cushion? I recently lost a large amount of weight in a short period and most of it came off my butt, so I notice the pain faster than before.

The key to the Skiman mod is that it provides support for both cheeks. The round shape of the stock seat puts pressure on the groin while not supporting the cheeks. This takes its toil after a few miles and effects heavier riders quicker. I weigh 200lbs and lack of cushion isn't an issue. Everyone who has done the mod, has said that it was an improvement.

A little late here, but I have a Russell Daylong Seat that is super comfy, but also super expensive. And you have to send them your stock seat to have it modified. But the end result is amazingly comfortable.

It is very important. Not only widening the seat but also "Dishing" is extremely important. Seargant explains it pretty well. A little long but a very good read.

Sargent Cycle Products - The Road to Comfort Cell

This is a little more information when you are making your decision. Whether you decide to buy aftermarket or roll on your own.

Sargent Cycle Products - Foam Alteration Guide - Custom Seat Services

I tried to cut/paste but the illustrations will not show up. They are pretty important to show what they are talking about.

I feel like I found the best of both worlds. First I cut down the seat to get the shape I wanted and then added abou 3/4" of medium density memory foam to the drivers section tapering it evenly into the existing foam front and back and where it met the seat pan. Since I wrapped the foam around the sides of the seat my seat is now even wider then a cut down stock seat. I was happy enough with these mods that I sold my Sargent seat. I am very comfortable for up to 350+ miles which is about all I ever felt very comfortable on my Sargent or Corbins. The end result actualy has the front of the seat higher than stock and the rear at the stock height. Combined with a larger width this probably wouldn't be ideal for a short person.

Back