gen 2 fz1 reliability?

Here in Greece there is a very big issue with fz1's reliability.
A not so low percentage of the bikes sold had to replace a broken flywheel as the magnets came loose causing in most of the times the destruction of the stator too. We suppose that has something to do with the high temperatures in the summer plus constructive failure (even though the part is the same as the others on fz1s all over the world...).
My bike was one of the first with broken flywheel, it had under 25000km on the odo at the time and is very very well maintained and carefully driven.
:dontknow:

Here in Greece there is a very big issue with fz1's reliability.
A not so low percentage of the bikes sold had to replace a broken flywheel as the magnets came loose causing in most of the times the destruction of the stator too. We suppose that has something to do with the high temperatures in the summer plus constructive failure (even though the part is the same as the others on fz1s all over the world...).
My bike was one of the first with broken flywheel, it had under 25000km on the odo at the time and is very very well maintained and carefully driven.
:dontknow:
What year is your Fz1,does this happen in all years? never heard of the problem here in Australia.

Yes, it does happen in all years regardless the number of kms the bikes have.
Mine is a 2006 model and i changed the flywheel back in 2009 if i remember correctly. There is no official answer from Yamaha to what causes the problem, the Greek fazerclub considered of hiring a lawyer to handle the issue but i don't know what happened finally.
Some well known engineers here suppose that high temperatures during summer (sometimes above 40o C) in addition with a lot of commuting at low speeds in the city (as i do) maybe cause the magnets to unglue.

I've had a few problems with my 2010 G2, but they've all been related to aftermarket modifications done by the previous owner

PCV shat itself after about a month & had to be replaced.
Hazards never worked with the aftermarket indicators until I replaced the OEM flasher unit.
Rear indicator wiring corroded away underneath the bulb, had to be replaced.
Front right indicator wires were badly pinched on install and this eventually wore through the shroud and exposed the copper causing the bike to start bowing fuses, had to be replaced.
Fender eliminator bracket holding the license plate and the rear indicators snapped clean off while I was riding along the other day, I've now re-installed the fugly stock fender for more rain protection and less police attention.
Whoever removed the OEM fender cut all the original wires instead of taking a bit more time and disconnecting everything properly. Which made restoring the OEM fender a royal pain in the ass.

So all the Yamaha bits have been perfect. But some of the mods have given me grief!

Last edited:
Back