Gen I Fork Seal Replacement?

Guys:

Is there a write-up someplace that shows how to replace the fork seals on the Gen I? I checked Pat's page but the closest thing he has is replacing the forks themselves once they've been redone.

My forks are already redone (by Traxxion Dynamics) when owned by the PO, but now the left fork is leaking so I need to change the seal. I'll probably put fresh oil in both forks, but for now I just need to find a good break-down on how to change it. I've seen write-ups on other forks, like on my DR650, but I was wondering about FZ1-specific stuff since these are vastly different and superior forks.

I already tried the film negative trick and that didn't work, so I have a new set of seals here to put in.

Thanks!

Rob

Here's my two part video of the whole process......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUuv2U_Ie7c]FZ1 Fork Rebuild Pt1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaqXQ1sz4Ec]FZ1 Fork Rebuild Pt2 - YouTube[/ame]

So you need one of each of those per fork? I looked 'em up on Rocky Mountain ATV and they're about $8 each.. not bad.

And thanks to YFZRiderNY for posting the howto videos!
Rob

So you need one of each of those per fork? I looked 'em up on Rocky Mountain ATV and they're about $8 each.. not bad.

And thanks to YFZRiderNY for posting the howto videos!
Rob

There are two metal slides per fork. You have one with a copper coated inside and the other with a copper coated outside. Or if you'd like, one with a teflon coated outer and the other with a teflon coated inner. You'll need as follows:

1ea. METAL, SLIDE 1
4TX-23125-B0-00 (replaces 4TX-23125-A0-00)

1ea. METAL, SLIDE 2
4TX-23135-B0-00 (replaces 4TX-23135-A0-00)

1ea. SEAL, DUST
4TX-23144-01-00 (replaces 4TX-23144-00-00)

1ea. OIL SEAL
5VX-23145-00-00 (replaces 4TX-23145-00-00)

1ea. GUIDE, COVER UPPER
4TX-23115-00-00

1ea. GASKET
90430-10171-00

1ea. CLIP, OIL SEAL
4TX-23156-00-00 **(Optional) You could reuse the old clip which are generally in good condition.

PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket. has great prices and good service when it comes to OEM parts. You'll also need new fluid and some lithium grease to coat the new oil seal. If you have any other questions I'm here to help.:cheers:

Back