Gen III FZ1

Cross-Plane motor is WAY over rated. I have owned one. The sound is sexy but once you get past that my 07 R1 motor was better. :deal:

here is a clip of my 09 R1 I had. And yes I knew the guy in the white truck and buzzed him on purpose. lolup

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZdb-u38C54&list=UUIQdEw8oReVWo1YLjeONTUw&index=16&feature=plpp_video]09 R1 Leo Vince EVO II Full System Rolling Clip - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG12MRfXMJI&list=UUIQdEw8oReVWo1YLjeONTUw&index=15&feature=plpp_video"]Leo Vince #1 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
For the Gen III FZ1 I would say yes to the cross plane and definitely a better seat. Better handlebar mounts to get rid of the vibration issues. ABS and Traction control would be nice. Has there been anything out of the Yamaha camp on a Gen III FZ1?:sport12:

Start with the current R1 and......

Throw handle bars on it ( fairing changed for clearance ) 1/2 fairing like the current FZ1
Slightly higher windscreen. for the upright riding position .
lower the pegs a little ( adjustable would be nice )
add just a little wheelbase and rake
Leave enough slack in the cables for different bar configurations
Run the exhaust on the side. Under seat looks cool......but it gets hot
use the new found space under the seat for some FRIGGING STORAGE.
DO NOT NEUTER THE MOTOR !!!!! PLEASE !!!!!
a decent seat would be nice.
ABS is a must. An off switch for the track guys or the delusion people that think they wont benefit from it on the street

I WANT A FULL POWER SPORTBIKE WITH HIGHER BARS AND LOWER PEGS !!!!! APRILIA FINALLY DID IT WITH THE TUONO RSV4 ! PLEASE YAMAHA DO THE SAME .

Last edited:
Start with the current R1 and......

Throw handle bars on it ( fairing changed for clearance )
Slightly higher windscreen. for the upright riding position .
lower the pegs ( adjustable would be nice )
add just a little wheelbase and rake
Leave enough slack in the cables for different bar configurations
Run the exhaust on the side. Under seat looks cool......but it gets hot
use the new found space under the seat for some FRIGGING STORAGE.
DO NOT NEUTER THE MOTOR !!!!! PLEASE !!!!!
a decent seat would be nice.
ABS is a must. An off switch for the track guys or the delusion people that think they wont benefit from it on the street

I WANT A FULL POWER SPORTBIKE WITH HIGHER BARS AND LOWER PEGS !!!!! APRILIA FINALLY DID IT WITH THE TUONO RSV4 ! PLEASE YAMAHA DO THE SAME .

FZ1 is on the side......yet still no storage. Also, I believe they put different cams in the Tuono and it's detuned 20-30 hp from the RSV4.

Last edited:
I want them to take a R1 and put FZ1 badging on it. That should do just fine.

Seriously thou. I would like to see bars like the ones they use on the Ninja 1000. I would like the Cross Plane motor. I would it to have a better shock and updated front brakes. I would like the rear tail handles removed and a more R1 esque front half fairing.

I really doubt Yamaha will produce an FZ1 (or anything else) that will compare too closely with the R1.

Probably right about that.........makes me want to cry !

People often say the market is not big enough but I REALLY think the Japanese manufactures are missing out big time!
Huge untapped market for a true sportbike that just happens to not turn you into a pretzel.

Hopefully the new Tuono will start a trend...........I wont hold my breath.

2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 R- Aprilia Superbike Motorcycles at EICMA 2010

At its heart is the RSV4’s 1000cc 65-degree V-Four, detuned via milder cams from a claimed 180 hp at 12,250 rpm and 85 ft.-lb. of torque at 10,000 to 162 hp at 11,000 rpm and 81 ft.-lb. at 9000

I'll make this simple for you. THOSE ARE CLAIMED NUMBERS AT THE CRANK FROM THE MANUFACTURE.

The RSV4 usally dynos 152-165 at the tire Check hundreds of charts online.

I've only found 2 charts for the RSV4 Tuono ( its a new bike ) 151 and 154.

18 horse power difference AT THE CRANK translates closer to 10hp at the wheel .

Claimed numbers from the manufacturer are often nonsense.

Last edited:
I'll make this simple for you. THOSE ARE CLAIMED NUMBERS AT THE CRANK FROM THE MANUFACTURE.

The RSV4 usally dynos 152-165 at the tire Check hundreds of charts online.

I've only found 2 charts for the RSV4 Tuono ( its a new bike ) 151 and 154.

Claimed numbers from the manufacturer are often nonsense.

YEAH I GET THAT, i'm not an idiot. The claim was made the RSV4 and Tuono are the same mill............they are not. I know what claimed hp from manufacture and crank hp vs wheel hp is. I was only saying the two bikes are NOT exact performance wise.

Last edited:
Back