General Mods??

I am new to motorcycles and I got my FZ1 as a left over at Yamaha and want to go faster, mostly off the line. I have looked for a good sticky that has a good list of general mods to add, exhausts, PCV, intakes, sprockets etc... Just curious if I am missing the thread that I need or should try to start one up?

I am new to motorcycles and I got my FZ1 as a left over at Yamaha and want to go faster, mostly off the line. I have looked for a good sticky that has a good list of general mods to add, exhausts, PCV, intakes, sprockets etc... Just curious if I am missing the thread that I need or should try to start one up?

:shaking head:

Well the FZ1 is geared a little tall so to improve off the line performance the best bang for the buck is a -1/+1 sprocket combo. You can look here for the rest of your questions:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7114-gen-ii-mods-start-here.html

It is not wise as a newbie to increase the performance of the Fz1. This is a 150 hp bike and should not be underestimated. Indeed I think it is absolutely no beginner bike!

the best thing you can do to make the bike quicker is learn how to ride smoothly and safely. it costs only the gas you use. skill and experience will make you really fast.

as for mods, njfz1 knows what's up. a sprocket conversion will increase your acceleration at lower rpms. i would not recommend it though until you have a few thousand miles under your belt. other mods that are less efficient could include an aftermarket exhaust, power commander, and an aftermarket air filter.

I got my first dirt bike at 12 years old. Rode (many different) dirt bikes and dual sport bikes until I was about 30 years old. Got a 600cc Seca II, rode it for a few years. Had kids, sold my motorcycle. Then talked my wife into letting me get a BMW F650 and rode it for a few years. Got my FZ1 in 2010. I'll be 48 years old this weekend, been riding motorcycle for 36 years and my FZ1 is PLENTY fast for me.

I cannot imagine a newby to motorcycles, being able to safely handle a 1000cc, 140hp bike.

Last edited:
It was my first street bike. I never rode one till the day I left the dealership in 06. If a person rides smart they can ride any bike. Our bikes are heavy and lower hp than ss 1000 cc bikes. My buddy runs 10.60 on his stretched 600. Best Mine has went is 10.30 so its not that far apart.

Introducing youself as a new rider and asking that question raises a lot of red flags. Unless you are supernaturally good at riding a bike, you shouldn't need to juice up an FZ1. I've been on bikes, snowmobiles, ATV's, etc... all my life. First street bike was an FZ6R and I moved up to an FZ1. The 6R was fast, the FZ1 is stupid. It is, in fact, so stupid that the ECU limits horsepower in the first 3 gears.

If you're new to bikes I am willing to bet you're not able to get 0-60 or 1/4 mile times close to what the bike will do. Head out to your local drag strip and get some time tickets. Compare them to what the pros can do on this bike. When you see the difference in your time compared to theirs, I bet you'll save yourself $1000 in mods and just work on your technique for a few seasons.

That being said, everyone wants the fastest thing going. A Ninja 250 is plenty quick for the street and we choose 4cyl 1000cc bikes that will break every speed limit in North America in first gear. It's cool to want a cool bike; we all do. I just hope you understand what you're dealing with. Tis bike will get away from even a highly experienced rider faster than you can $hit your pants. You don't want to wait until 125mph to find out you bit off a bit too much. Good luck with the bike. Enjoy it, and please respect it.

Haha, well let me rephrase my initial question, I am new to modifying this particular bike, I have been riding my whole life mostly dirt bikes but came into the street seen on an old 1200 sportster my dad basically let me use, from there I made my way to a ZX7R with a few triumphs in the mix and a GSXR1000 (all be it an older GSXR1000). This is my first brand new bike and was looking for some subtle mods, I don't want to go insane quite yet. After hearing everyone jump all over a "newbie wanting to go fast" I think I will stay away from the sprocket idea for now and start with a full exhaust. Thanks for the link to the GenII mods page, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I haven't really gone nuts with the mods yet, but from what I understand a PCV, exhaust, and air box mod can grab you 5-10hp in a hurry. I am interested in the ECU reflash as well because it can de-restrict the first 3 gears. From there lots more can be done for subtle gains. Either way, you're going to love this bike. It's a great all-rounder, and it goes like a scared rabbit when you tell it to, modded or not. The old saying is that you can go as fast as you want as long as you're willing to spend the cash.

I've been on this forum for a while. Don't worry too much about being jumped on. It's one of the better forums in the Internet for manners. Squids make people here nervous, though. A bit more explanation clears things up, but you have to admit the original post sounded like someone destined to wind up losing their license at best, and stuck to a tree or something at worst. So, welcome! Lots of excellent info here and some great people who are glad to help out. Have fun!

I think I will slowly add an exhaust then the air box and then the PCV like you said, that sounds like a good progression forward. I have never heard of the ECU flash but that makes me curious. I didn't know that the first 3 gears were limited, that alone might get me where I want to as far as take off power, or it might give it way too much haha. I managed about 2000 miles last summer before I had to put it up for the winter (long ass Alaska winter) so I am relatively comfortable with the bike as is, but we will see how slight mods make me fell on it before I go crazy.

I think what I missed on the original post was the word "these". As in "I am new to THESE motorcycles." I am not worried about the people telling me not to go crazy, they had my best interest in mind and were concerned for me.

One more quick question, I work up in Prudhoe Bay (yes where the ice road truckers drive too) and am nowhere near my bike and I am trying to figure out my bikes terminology, is mine an FZ1S? It is an 09 sold to me as a left over new in America. About to order a rear seat cowl and I don't want to screw up and spend 350 bucks on the wrong item.

From what I have read you can't gain a whole lot more hp out of the fz1 but you can however gain a ton of mid range power. You will notice the midrange more anyways because 99 percent of your riding isn't all out full throttle. There is a dyno sheet on here somewhere showing the increase in midrange with full exhaust, stacks, Pcv, air box mod.

Ok now it is clear ;). Yours should be the S version if it has the fairing, the N version has no fairing and only the headlight (the N version is not sold in the US).

Concerning mods, an slip on exhaust is a good first mod, a full exhaust or other arrows header would be another major upgrade. All other mods give only slightly performance increases.

The restriction of the first 3 gears was done to prevent highsiders after accelerating out of turns. Of course it is fun to lift the front wheel on a straight, not so much if seriously leaned over and trying to accelerate out of a turn ;).

In general the bike can accelerate really fast if you keep the rpm high so it will never be as street usable like a speed triple.

I didn't think they were restricted in the 1st 3 gears. I don't think our ecu knows what gear your in, thats why Gipro only sells X types for FZ1

get a gen1 front sprocket, its -1 and from what I understand it has a rubber fitting to cut down noise and its cheap enouph to try.. -- lol I say that but I havn't done it

Crikey! YES THE BIKE IS RESTRICTED IN LOWER GEARS. It is a combination of timing and secondary throttle plate control.

Stock bike makes about 125hp at the crank. A "full package" bike (see my signature for the mods) will make close to 150hp. Its by no means all high RPM gains either. Full package bike is making about 25hp more at 7k than stock. Basically the bike is transformed both in power output and in the way that power is delivered. It becomes smooth, linear and completely snatch free. The smaller flies and ignition module help to reduce the effect of the lower gear restrictions but they are still there. Ivan is working on his own ECU reflash which should be much more thoroughly developed than the other offerings thus far. Here's his recent thread:
Ivan's ECU program - FZ1OA Message Board
This is also a good thread which shows you just how much power can be gained if you decide to open your wallet.
Full Yosh system tested-dyno charts - FZ1OA Message Board

Back