Getting out scratches

Steve F

Dammit! I put a nasty scratch in the plastic fairing that’s located in front of the tank and behind / under the bars. I have no clue how it happened. It wasn’t there when I went out for a ride yesterday. But there it was when I came back. I have another scratch in the rear near the left passenger grip but I know how that happened.

Has anyone tried ColorRite products? They have the exact match of color. Just curious how well they blend in after application. Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Dammit! I put a nasty scratch in the plastic fairing that’s located in front of the tank and behind / under the bars. I have no clue how it happened. It wasn’t there when I went out for a ride yesterday. But there it was when I came back. I have another scratch in the rear near the left passenger grip but I know how that happened.

Has anyone tried ColorRite products? They have the exact match of color. Just curious how well they blend in after application. Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks

I tried the ColorRite pens and wasn't impressed. There is an obvious difference. I have an 08 Shift Red and you have to use 2 different pens (base / top) coats.

What color is your bike? There is a thread on the other site about these and one of the guys found the Duplicolor works great for the Red. Here is the color he recommended. Scratch fix 2 in 1 from dupli color NG CC 412 IN INFERNO RED

Sorry to hear that Steve. Hopefully if they are not deep, you may be able to use some compound to at least make them less noticible. I've tried GS27 a couple of times with good results, but only on light scratches that weren't into the basecoat. Like it has been mentioned, some pics would be good for us to see just how bad they are.

Thanks Guys, Yes, I'll post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow. They're pretty deep scratches. You can see white. The one in the rear isn't all that noticeable unless you're looking for it. But the new one is a real eyesore.

Ok, here's a couple pics. Actually the new one in the front isn't as bad as I thought after looking at it again today. Scratches tend to appear much bigger, uglier and noticeable the first time you see them. I'd still like to get rid of it though as best possible.

The one in the rear (the long scratch) is pretty deep though.

It's an 07 Cobalt Blue.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Steve

Last edited:
touch up time

For the small one you should be able to use touch up paint. A painter showed me a trick for tiny paint chip touch ups. break a wooded match stick and use one of the fine splinter tips to dip into the paint. That way only a tiny bit of paint gets to the center of the chip and expands out to the edges of the chip. Most people tend to overdo it and have a big glob of paint that is very noticable on what was a small chip. The same method can be applied to a scratch. Before starting I would use a polishing compound to eliminate any surrounding edges or scuffs. Mothers "scratch remover" or Meguires "swirl remover". Be sure to clean with the spot to be painted with alcohol before painting to remove any wax. once the paint has dried use a good wax and you should be good. :tup:

worse case

If painting won't do it you could go to a decal/Graphics shop and see if they have a good match for the paint which is very likely. a small piece of colour matched decal will hide it. Just get extra material for the next ouch. Like a band aid for the bike.

Yeooow, aw man.....makes me ill..... my sympathies. There are a bunch of little instruction videos on utube, and while it will never be 'fixed' or rather all blended and smooth, you can do a pretty fair fix. Spend a little time on utube for a bit of insight on what to and what NOT to do to remedy the paint problems.

I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to try and do anything with the scratches. I called Yamaha and they said to use Colorrite. I guess I'll give that a try and hope for the best. But if that doesn't work well I'll try the decal idea.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post before and after shots when I get it done. Hopefully in the next few weeks

Back