Gilles Rearsets Installation Question

Jboat

(EDIT: Problem solved with included spacers)

I got my beautiful Gilles rearsets today and couldn't wait to install them. I started with the right side and when I went to install the rearset I noticed a slight issue that may interfere with my plans...

There is what appears to be a locating tab/pin cast into the frame for the stock rearsets. It is preventing me from bolting down the front mount plate flush with the frame. The only way I can see this working is by grinding the frame, which I am not about to do at this point...

Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so what was the solution? I checked all the part numbers and they are correct...

Here's what I'm talking about. I'm pointing to it with my allen wrench...
cf069e9b.jpg

Here's the plate mocked up to show the interference. This can't be right...
6aee6a2a.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Are you sure they sent you the right set? I would think that they would know about that protrusion on the frame when designing them for the bike. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue before. You'd think that kind of thing would pop up before when someone else encountered that issue??

FZ1-Forum to the rescue!...

I found a little bag that was bubble wrap that had the extra parts in it. I guess in my excitement I got a little ahead of myself. I feel a little stupid right now, but I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually...

Everything appears to be correct for this bike thus far. They are part # Y10-G. I got them from Kneedraggers.com. I've always had good service from them despite what others say...

0be0209c.jpg

They look amazing!...
c7c66867.jpg

So... a quick image search on Google has me wondering....

I found this video when I was searching for a solution to my imaginary problem. Scroll to :44 in this video and you will see them mounted up. ..:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwImf_ylIc0]YAMAHA FZ1N + YOSHIMURA + POWER COMMANDER + GILLES REARSETS + RIZOMA BAR+ASV LEVERS+BELLYPAN+ - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a pic of mine installed...
Gilles002.jpg

Last edited:
Back