Givi pannier set up

3B43

How many of you have gone to the hard bag/Givi set up? I'm seriously looking at this up grade and for those of you that have, a few questions:

1) Will a helmet fit in the V35 bags?
2) Is the hardware attachment a 'bolt on' OR is there modifications that have to be made to the rear of the bike?
3) Are you happy w/the mod, as its about a $850 out lay for the bags/hardware.
4) ANY complaints?
5) Did any of you opt for the quick-release bags?
6) Did any of you have the bags painted to color match your bike, and if so, was it difficult to match the paint? (mine's a '08 red)

Thanks

1: An XL helmet will fit if you take the bag off and close it up before mounting on the bike. Very tight fit.

2: If you use the SW Motech quick release racks there are no modifications to make (no cutting of anything)

3: I personally love it. The bags are huge but still look sporty. I have gone grocery shopping with them! Well worth the investment.

4: Only complaint is that the quick release fittings have a little surface rust on the inside of them. If you hit it with some WD whenever you take them apart you will be fine.

5: Quick release is Awesome! You can take them off in 45 seconds and only see a couple of barely noticeable clips. Get the locks with them for security.

6: I left my bags black and like them that way. My bike is a Blue 07

Hope that helps!

I used to run a full hard case setup on my Gen 1. I had a V46 top case & E21 side cases (top loading). The V46 can fit two helmets as long as they're not two bobblehead (Icon, HJC, Scorpion) helmets. The E21s have great storage as well but not nearly as much as the V35s

How many of you have gone to the hard bag/Givi set up? I'm seriously looking at this up grade and for those of you that have, a few questions:

I can fit my small sized Shoei Qwest, but it's a tight fit so a large or x-large helmet may not fit.

2) Is the hardware attachment a 'bolt on' OR is there modifications that have to be made to the rear of the bike?

I used the Give quick-release mounts. Only mod was having to cut a small section of the plastic undertray. Really easy to do with a Dremel.

Yes, they are very handy and when I don't need them I remove the mounts and the bike looks basically stock. If you shop around you should be able to get matte black bags and mounting hardware for around $700.

4) ANY complaints?

None so far...

You mean quick release mounting brackets? Bags are quick release.

6) Did any of you have the bags painted to color match your bike, and if so, was it difficult to match the paint? (mine's a '08 red)

I have the same color bike and eventually I may consider painting a section of the bags to match. I have the feeling the paint may not be easy to match...

Thanks

See my answers above.

Thanks for the input. After surfing the net, it seems that twistedthrottle has the same prices as anything I've found on ebay, so I'll give 'em a call. Hopefully, they should know what panniers will allow a XL Arai to fit into.

I'm intressted in a couple of panniers but dont want to buy the uber-expensive oem ones. What do you guys recommend ? I'll probably use them one week per year. I tried some soft givi ones but they were folding inwards so it didn't look very trustworthy, maybe those need a rack for support as well ?

I'm intressted in a couple of panniers but dont want to buy the uber-expensive oem ones. What do you guys recommend ? I'll probably use them one week per year. I tried some soft givi ones but they were folding inwards so it didn't look very trustworthy, maybe those need a rack for support as well ?

I would recommend the hard case Givi's. You can always transfer them to another bike in the future with the proper mounting kit.

As for the soft Givi's you do need a way of supporting them and Givi indeed sells such a part:

attachment.php

Is the rack for the hard cases easy to mount and remove?

Sent from my X-Wing

Well they make two kits for the hard cases. One is a quick-release one (it's the one I have) and yes it's fairly easy to remove...less than a minute. It leaves behind some small brackets, but it's not that big a deal.

Sv: Givi pannier set up

Well they make two kits for the hard cases. One is a quick-release one (it's the one I have) and yes it's fairly easy to remove...less than a minute. It leaves behind some small brackets, but it's not that big a deal.

I wouldn't want to spoil the nice lines of the fz1 driving around with some ugly bars attached ..

Sent from my X-Wing

3B, I have an XL Arai and it will NOT fit. I also have an XL HJC that is a super tight fit.

Thanks for the input. After surfing the net, it seems that twistedthrottle has the same prices as anything I've found on ebay, so I'll give 'em a call. Hopefully, they should know what panniers will allow a XL Arai to fit into.

As far a quality goes, I am not pleased. The cases come with a bungie cord that has a plastic buckle. That buckle broke in the first month. There is a cord that keeps the door from dropping all the way down when it's open while mounted on the bike. That cord is secured with a screw that was stripped within a month of use as well. I had an ST1300 with luggage for two years and never saw any of these issues.

4) ANY complaints?

Thanks

Last edited:
3B, I have an XL Arai and it will NOT fit. I also have an XL HJC that is a super tight fit.

As far a quality goes, I am not pleased. The cases come with a bungie cord that has a plastic buckle. That buckle broke in the first month. There is a cord that keeps the door from dropping all the way down when it's open while mounted on the bike. That cord is secured with a screw that was stripped within a month of use as well. I had an ST1300 with luggage for two years and never saw any of these issues.

Man.. you must be hard on your gear! I've had the top case for 3 years and side cases for 1.5 years.. zero issues :dontknow:

No problem. The only thing that looks a little "weird" w/o the hard cases in place are the rear turn signals. They need to be moved back a little bit, but it's not really that big a deal given the usefulness of the bags.

Yeah, turn signals with stock fender do look a bit funky. I have FE and integrated tail.. very clean look with or without the cases.

I hear you. I don't like the stock fender, but in the rain a FE kit is not much fun...trust me.

Oh I've experienced the lack of fender in the rain many times. Unpleasant to say the least. With the top case on, it's not so bad.. without it.. very bad. I wish the stock fender wasn't so heinous looking.

Back