Going From Analog To Digital: Real World Report

Hey,

So I got my FZ1 going on 3 weeks ago and I'm nearing my 600 mile service, which will be Saturday for sure. I do about 180 miles week, so I knew that would happen quickly. Going from an analog gas gauge to a digital gauge, I wanted to know how far I could stretch that 'reserve' portion of my ride. It was easier to monitor the last 40 plus miles in reserve since you could actually see the needle of the analog gauge move closer and closer the the 'E' of the gauge. At my best on my ol' Bandit, I could almost go to 200 miles including the reserve (The average was about 180).

I had been gun shy to experiment on how far I could push my reserve on the FZ1 the first couple of fill ups since I was more into breaking in and getting comfortable with the machine, and a large portion of my commute is freeway. I just didn't want to get stuck on the 101 somewhere in that no man's land between Balboa and Van Nuys! Since I was doing some more 'about the town' sorta riding and not worried about being stuck on the freeway, I let my self go past what I thought would be the allowable miles in the reserve (F-Trip) of the FZ1.

The F-Trip got triggered around the 138 mile and I ultimately filled up at 177 miles and I think I could've gone further. I'll have to experiment more. So here are the stats for this particular fill up and I'll give you guys some more real world stats on the next one.

F-Trip Miles: 43.8
Miles Ridden, Including Reserve: 177.2
Fill Up: 4.492.

So the Manual says I have a 4.9 tank and I venture that I could've gotten maybe another 5 -10 miles if I rode in a conservative manner. Not opening the throttle at the light, or keeping it at 65 on the freeway. On this fill up, I also put air into the tires too, so that should help with economy. What I really want to know is, if there is a scenario where you would see no bars and no flashing in your digital gas gauge, would that be the actual time to really find a gas station.

I feel that I can probably try for 180 - 190 miles.

If you were to monitor the fuel pressure with a gauge you were probably at some point pulling air and running a dry pump. You don't tend to notice that kind of thing without a gauge because it still runs fine.

I realize they are different setups but I don't take my Cummins much under 1/4 tank because when you get on it or slam the brakes all the fuel that is there moves away from the pump dropping pressure for a few seconds.

I experienced almost the exact same mileage with my 2008 FZ1. I thought surely there would be gas stations, but there just weren't. Rode very conservatively. 43 miles on the F-trip. Fillup took 4.48 gallons. The manual says my tank holds 4.6, but I don't know whether it risks sucking air just due to the sloshing around of what little gas remains. I would not have wanted to go any farther. My guess is that I would have run out within the next few miles.

Back