GoPro Backpack Cam

So, I tried a new Mount that fits inside my Camelbak and I like the results, I just need to fine tune the angle, and eventually get a gyroscopic mount to steady the footage.

My boss has a side company that makes rigging for Float Tubes and Kayaks for fishing stuff. I took part of one of the components and modified it to fit in my camelbak with a post sticking up to mount my GoPro on.

Here is that product I took apart:
CastMate™ | Team Fish, Inc.

Here is how it went together:
20140424_170315_zpsiovlens6.jpg

20140424_170413_zpsbq7fy2sf.jpg

20140424_170502_zpslev8jpvs.jpg

20140424_170601_zpsibefz1c9.jpg

20140424_170613_zpszkgvnxqr.jpg

The Standard GoPro Handle Bar Mounting Kit:
20140424_170832_zpswv3okqow.jpg

20140424_170956_zpsixmuvlpc.jpg

20140424_171000_zpsr6yjv7to.jpg

And with the GoPro Attached:

20140424_171043_zpsf1jxz2un.jpg

Here is some Video I took yesterday while on my mountain bike, but this could work on the FZ as well:

http://youtu.be/PZqQpKDeBNg

I plan to run it again this afternoon with a better angle and with friends so you can see footage of me capturing other riders as well.

I watched the footage and it seemed to work great! Nice job. You just needed the camera angle up just a bit once you got on the trail. Probably because you were standing at that point

Yeah, and I guess I tend to lean forward some when on the more aggressive downhill sections. I am going to test it again in a few hours at a different angle.

Creative and cool! Thanks for sharing. I agree, needs to aim up a bit more. This is where I'd love to have a remote LCD screen so I can immediately see where it is aiming. ;)

Creative and cool! Thanks for sharing. I agree, needs to aim up a bit more. This is where I'd love to have a remote LCD screen so I can immediately see where it is aiming. ;)

I can turn on the wifi and get a preview of the shot with the app on my phone, but I did not think about how much I lean forward when on the bike verses just walking around with my back being more upright.

Looks very nice Matt! Nice job setting it up. Can't wait to see it on the bike!

I normally use my GoPro on my helmet for commuting, but this would be fun to try on a pleasure ride.

While commuting I spend much of my time going 80mph in a straight line on the freeway and at that speed i think it would catch a lot of air, but a Sunday cruise down the coast would be cool.

While shopping around Fry's Electronics yesterday, I found that the Vivitar sport cam mounts are the same as the GoPro, so there are more options.

Its a cool angle, but I think you can build on it a bit. From the video it just seems like its a bit taller than it being on your helmet. What would be cool is instead of the camera mount on the front of pole toward your body, stretch the camera as far away from you as possible, so you get a better angle of you, and your bike on the trail. It will get more of a third party view which I think is a better view.

I personally like the views to be lower if in first person. When I ride I usually use my go pro on the side of my motorcycle helmet. it gives a different view angle and more of the bike and the trail.

Couple examples:
On my wifes kdx 220 - http://youtu.be/ZmDtBuREJ7c
Riding my WR450 - http://youtu.be/ji2WfKx6qGg

Its a cool angle, but I think you can build on it a bit. From the video it just seems like its a bit taller than it being on your helmet. What would be cool is instead of the camera mount on the front of pole toward your body, stretch the camera as far away from you as possible, so you get a better angle of you, and your bike on the trail. It will get more of a third party view which I think is a better view.

I personally like the views to be lower if in first person. When I ride I usually use my go pro on the side of my motorcycle helmet. it gives a different view angle and more of the bike and the trail.

Couple examples:
On my wifes kdx 220 - http://youtu.be/ZmDtBuREJ7c
Riding my WR450 - http://youtu.be/ji2WfKx6qGg

I run the Helmet Cam on the top of my Street helmet for daily commuting footage and while functional neither the top or the side are my personal preference for action video.

I would love to have the camera further back behind me like you suggest, i might play around with my extra mounting parts and try that out. The hard part with MTB is all the tree branches on the tighter runs. But that is my problem to figure out... haha.

I run the Helmet Cam on the top of my Street helmet for daily commuting footage and while functional neither the top or the side are my personal preference for action video.

I would love to have the camera further back behind me like you suggest, i might play around with my extra mounting parts and try that out. The hard part with MTB is all the tree branches on the tighter runs. But that is my problem to figure out... haha.

maybe go straight back and out to one side at same time, or run it in like portrait mode so you don't get the poll in the vid but not have it stick up further than the poll

Back