Grease on clutch plates at factory

Was lookin through the internet about clutch issues and thier seems to be a lot of disscussion about the factory getting grease on the clutch plates cuasing slipping gears or clutch not disengaging at an early life. Just an FYI. Anyone else heard of this?

Me, none. Just looking to become a student of anything/everything. Guess I'm trying to follow in your footsteps.....:bowdown:... of Zen and the Art of FZ Maintenance...

BroHay

not you Adam.... I know your problems are wayyyyyyy beyond my ability of fixing things....

I just learn by fixing things as they break... I just break a lot of stuff.

but... since the OP hasn't responded yet as to what the symptoms are... my initial thoughts wouldn't be grease on the plates...

my initial idea would be an idiot at the dealer... they let the youngest kids pull the bikes from the crates, lube, and prepare for delivery... including a test drive... and on a brand new clutch, it's easy to overheat the plates and glaze them... much like new brake pads... basically giving you a perfectly smooth surface on the face of the discs, and letting them just slide against each other instead of actually gripping... I've seen that one a few times... not much you can do... unless you can convince the dealer that the clutch slipping at 1500 miles isn't normal...

I'd like to have a look at whatever you are saying is a lot of discussion about the factory contaminating the clutches wth grease. Sometimes one person's experience or even the thought that something happened gets all blown out of proportion. The FZ1's clutch is a wet clutch so I can't imagine a little grease would have an effect after the fact. I've run dry clutches and some of the older Harley's had dry clutches that still had some amount of oil in the transfer case to lube the primary chain. Those clutches ran forever without any major problems. Before I worried about a bit of grease from the factory causing slipping, I'd be concerned about the wear and tear a few hard burn-outs causes.

not you Adam.... I know your problems are wayyyyyyy beyond my ability of fixing things....

I just learn by fixing things as they break... I just break a lot of stuff.

My turn is coming. With the upcoming jet kit, timing advance, airbox, and porting, my time is rapidly approaching to start breaking things.

BroHay

you should be just fine doing all of that... it's all cut and dry... make sure you don't bend the hose clamps on the airbox side while ripping the carbs out... before you put them back in, hose down the carb boots and airbox boots with WD-40 ....

didn't see it on the list.... but do the Air Box mod as well.... takes 30 seconds while you've got the tank off, and Dremel out.

Just posted it as an FYI incase some people were having more clutch issues. Mine is making noise but working fine and is in the shop getting looked at. The yamaha shop said this is normal after a few thousand. We also talked about the "grease on the clutch" thing and he said that the last gen R1's and some FZ1's had not had the clutch plates soaked properly at the factory and since this engine has an injector that oils the clutch plates from the sump but doesn't work real good until engine warms up and the clutches were going bad usually before 600 miles. This problem has since been corrected.

I just started having this problem with my 08 at about 400 miles. Once the bike is warmed up after a few miles it is better but something doesn't seem right shifting from 1st. to 2nd.

Here's my experience with my 08 clutch issue. When the engine oil was still warming up I would come to a normal stop and the clutch didn't want to disengage for about 3-4 seconds. I brought it back to the dealer and had them pull the clutch cover and look at the plates. (After some arm twisting of course). And I didn't have any grease on the plates but they were bone dry so they were sticking together. The service manager called yamaha and they said to soak the plates for 24 hours. Well I'll update ya'll when I get the bike back.:waiting:

Back