Greetings from NJ

Steve F

Hi All
For those of you who read the FZ6 forum this is pretty much the same thing I posted there.

I’m from central NJ and considering a new FZ1 or FZ6. I've been on numerous bikes but there's nothing like a Yamaha !

I’ve been riding a 93 Seca II since it was new. It’s a great bike but I’ve outgrown it. It sat neglected for a few years as I became a father twice over. But it’s back on the road now and after considerable repairs it’s running like new. It’s been great riding again but I’m yearning for something new and with more power. I’ll be turning the big Five-Oh in October so I think a new bike will be my present to myself. My wife is cool with it.

I’m a sensible rider. I probably don’t need the extra power of a FZ1. But it is tempting. Perhaps that’s just mid-life crisis talking. I'd love to hear the pros and cons of a FZ1 vs. a FZ6 other than the obvious differences.

I've been to a couple dealers. I sat on an 08 in one and a 07 in another. Am I imagining this or does the 07 have different (less straight, more comfortable) handlebars than the 08? And is the 07 a little lower?

Can anyone recommend an experienced rider training class in NJ ? I took a basic riding class in 93 from ABATE. It was a great to get me started. I figure some advanced skills couldn’t hurt. I looked at a few sites and didn’t find anything reasonably close to home.

So, anyway, I just wanted to say hello and get to know people. Any advice and comments would be most welcome!

Thanks
Steve

For advanced classes I would start looking into a beginners track course. When you buy a new FZ1 or 6 you get a free track day with NESBA. I was in your shoes, debating between the 6 and the 1. What it came down to it, I went with the best deal. I got a carry over 07 FZ1 for the same price as the 08 FZ6. That was a no brainer for me. I'm happy I went with the bigger bike though because I was expecting monster torque like my last bike had (Bandit 1200) the Yamaha just doesn't have it. It's all in the top end. I think I would have been very disappointed in the FZ6 which has even less torque.

Clear as mud.
Welcome to the board!

Beginers track day? Cool. I didn't know they had those. I never considered going to a track until recently. A guy in work I just got to know well goes all the time. I'll ask him about local ones. I always figured I'd get laughed at on my Seca and conservative riding style.

Since first posting I did find a Experienced rider class near me. It's only $90. so I can't go wrong. Not sure how much I'll learn but after that I think it's the track for me!

That's a great price! Look at the nesba website and see if they have any events near you. They always offer a free 2 -20 minute session portion of the morning to people unsure about riding on a track. From there you can join the beginners group that rides the rest of the day if you like it.

Back