Ground Clearance - Whats the big deal ?

Two Wheels

I'm no Ben Spies (Go ben !) but I just did 300 miles with some pretty advanced track day riders on a variety of back roads here in Southern California, and I scraped pegs once ... once.

I've been reading all this about lack of clearance, center stand, etc ... I just hung admirably with a host of good riders on good sport bikes (albeit much more comfy) and the FZ performed flawlessly. I took alll my turns just like I wanted.

I dont see what the big deal is. Yeah, its not meant to go professionally race, but out there on pretty much any road, it does the job and I was all the way over alot ! Go FZ!

I haven't read many complaints about a lack of gound clearance on the FZ1 but I would imagine anyone who would complain couldn't find a better street fighter for the price and if they are really worried about ground clearance, whatever they are doing to use it up isn't on the street. I haven't even come close to needing more room between the pegs and the pavement.

In my 20's there was a certain kudos among the ladd's about 'chicken stripes' the gap between used rubber and the side wall of a tyre!!! now im quite happy to touch the peg down with a few mm of rubber to spare. if i had wanted that kind of performance i would have gone for the r1

just some food for thought , The FZ has pretty much ruled on the street from every review i've read. There is a slight Grim fate with the FZ on the track. A lot of tracks require you have the center stand and side stand removed regardless. but the point of dragging on the centerstand and footpegs will occur in sharp turns with a harsh incline to go hand and foot. Note: Most sportbikes will be dragging here as well, so dont let the reviews fool ya. Its not that they're complaining on the fz. they're simply giving a review for it doesn't have the clearance of say a cbr or gsxr . but from what i have seen the midrange torque often makes quick work over a lot of these other bikes for everyday NORMAL riding conditions .

Back