Gutting the Cat

A couple of questions, I have done a search but didn't find an answer.

1 Will I need a power commander if the only mod I do is to gut the Cat? I need to keep my bike quiet as I often leave for work at 3am.

2 Will I gain anything from gutting the Cat and if so where in the range will it be?

No power gains, its for flat out screaming with the power commander,noting noticeable to standard running.Its not a tuning mod on its own,nothing to gain.

A couple of questions, I have done a search but didn't find an answer.

1 Will I need a power commander if the only mod I do is to gut the Cat? I need to keep my bike quiet as I often leave for work at 3am.

2 Will I gain anything from gutting the Cat and if so where in the range will it be?

I wouldn't do it Blanchy.
Once you gut it you can't go back and it might come in handy one day if you ever get pulled over or need to pass an epa test or rego etc.

Sent from my SG3

I wouldn't do it Blanchy.
Once you gut it you can't go back and it might come in handy one day if you ever get pulled over or need to pass an epa test or rego etc.

Sent from my SG3
Thanks just thinking. If I was going to gain some mid range. I might go for it but like I said I have to keep it quiet so std is the way I'm staying.

I've had four Gen II's and the one I have currently is the only one that I gutted the cat on. My current bike is with out question the best running of all of them. It could just be that I got lucky and got a good one out of the crop, but I sure did a lot of reading last year when I was doing mods and it made a lot of sense to me to do it. I would do it again without hesitation (unless in a metro area where I had to worry about EPA).

I de-Kat many of my cars , even a TDI , couldn't see much improvement maybe a loss in low rev range , the damn things are heavy , no place to be on a bike and they get HOT.
My TDI even passed an emission test without a kat and no EGR

Thanks just thinking. If I was going to gain some mid range. I might go for it but like I said I have to keep it quiet so std is the way I'm staying.

I noticed no real increase in sound when I did mine. I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Get a pipe with a db killer insert if it's an issue.

I Am a bit bemused about de-catting the exhaust I have done 2 on my bikes the 2007 and 2011 bike.When I did mine I did'nt have any problems but the added bonus was that the throttle response is better than with the OEM exhaust,better fuel to air ratio which gives better low down slow riding response and more predictable.Now upon decatting and adding an after market exhaust your sound will be a lil bit louder by about 20-30 % but to be honest I go to work at 6am and I have no complaints from people,just don't over rev it.It also saves weight to loads of weight I have the scorpion serket on mine.
Magpiemale

Ps no power commander needed on de-catted exhaust.

Last edited:
Blanchy:
I gutted my front cat, but retained the stock muffler, which also has a cat inside. The exhaust sound is ever so slightly louder, and the tone is deeper. There is no popping upon deceleration. I did a limited mod on my air box. The combination of a little intake sound and the exhaust sound is very pleasant IMO. Otherwise my bike is stock, and runs very well without adding a Power Commander. The power seems to have increased in the mid and upper ranges. Realistically, it probably was only worth a few horsepower. Certainly no worse.

Last edited:
Back