Handlebar vibration

Andy

I've got a 2002 FZ1 - which I bought used - and have noticed that after about an hour of riding my hands get tingly and then eventually a little bit numb. I've narrowed it down to a vibration in the handlebars. A couple of questions:

1) is it normal for a gen 1 FZ1 to have this vibration?
2) if not, any suggestions on what to check for a cause?

One other observation: while riding in a straight line on level road, the handlebars are actually pointed a little to the left. I first noticed this when riding at night - I can clearly see the left side turn signal from my normal riding position, but I cannot see the right side turn signal.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--
Andy
2002 FZ1 - pretty much stock...

Is everything stock? ie:) bars, bar end weights? If you bought used maybe have the carbs synced to eliminate that possible vibrration cause. Other than that I'll leave it to the Gen 1 experts.

If your handelbars are slightly "tweaked" you could loosen both the upper and lower triples with the bike on the centerstand and the headers blocked up so the bike doesn't slip forward. then straighten evrything up. Tighten the triples to the proper torque and it should all be good unless the bars are bent.

Last edited:
I have a Gen 2 and can only speak from that aspect, but several things can cause excessive vibration. Some vibration is to be expected, despite some folks stating otherwise. I think some people are just more sensitive to the expected amount. If you think it's a lot, check chain adjustment, carb sync, (since its a Gen 1) wheel alignment, and handlebar tightness. Check the motor mount bolts as well.
If its minor, like mine is above 75 mph, the lead weights with foam works, they make heavy weighted bar ends, gel grips, gel gloves, and I've heard the "bar snake" works well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 2002 FZ1 - which I bought used - and have noticed that after about an hour of riding my hands get tingly and then eventually a little bit numb. I've narrowed it down to a vibration in the handlebars.

It's so hard to judge what 'a vibration' means from person to person. I had an '03 and it did vibrate a bit as most bikes do but it was perfectly fine for hours and hours of riding.

If I was to guess based on that statement, I'd just say you were just squeezing too hard or were too rigid/tight on the bike.

Tough thing to narrow down on a forum methinks

Tingly hands

Vibrations, even normal operating vibration, can cause the capillaries in your hands to shut. Cold can trigger it as well. If its never happened under other circumstances, try weighting the bar. If you notice it's your throttle hand more than left, try a cruise control like Throttlemeister that lets you move and relax your hand. The vibration is still going to be the biggest contributor.

It could be a pretty benign version of Raynaud's that can come from using high frequency machinery. See if running at different RPMs makes a difference. A change in the frequency might be all that's needed.

If your fingers turn white, like corpse white, get it checked out with your doc. Mine do it. Kind of freaky, but not deadly. I'm looking at dampening the vibes in my bars too. Might try the lead shot & baggie method. Cheap!

Check this out Bro. I've been satisfy with those so far. Just check out there website to make sure they fit on the FZ1.

HVMP Heavy Bar End - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends for Yamaha motor bikes to Reduce Vibrations (look like i fit...)

Heard from a customer that we were mentioned in the forum here. Just wanted to pop in and say hello. If you have any questions about bar end weights, or specifically our bar ends, please don't hesitate to shoot us an email at info(a)hvmp.com or look us up on facebook.

Thanks,
HVMP
Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations

Back