Handlebars

I think I would be more comfortable riding long distances with a slightly higher bar. Although risers are a possibility on a lot of bikes, the FZ1 looks like it's got all the rise already in place without looking out of place. Does anyone know of a good bar out there that would raise the grips about an inch? Question two: is there any way to make the existing control cables work with this type of configutation? They look pretty tight already and all new lines/cables would be pricey I'll bet.

I am assuming that you have stock bars on the bike now. I bought my bike with Titanium Straight Bars which have a slightly lower stance than stock. I never saw the bike with the stock bars until I went over to Ivan's and saw his Gen1. Rather than go higher, what about just tipping them back towards you a half an inch or so. This should bring them a little closer to you and not compromise the cables. Just a thought. I do admit however, after seeing and feeling the stock bars, I may go and pick one up come Spring. I feel that they are a bit more comfortable for me at least. I'm no spring chicken and my hunched over days are over. At 47, I just want to relax while I ride. I am sure someone will chime in soon with some other alternatives for you. Billy.

I have heard of people swapping out the stock FZ1 bar for an FZ6 bar that has more of a rise to it to gain a little height. The way I understand it you do not have to change to longer cables or brake lines.

Last edited:
Both ideas have some merrit, and I'll check out the possibility of the bar rotation first, when I first looked at the stock bars they seemed too flat to get much out of rotating them. I never thought about checking out the FZ6 bars. I'll do that soon as I can. Thanks to both of you.

risers

I put one inch risers in between from ebay cost around twenty bucks worked great with no modification to the cables. Greatly improved the riding stance less weight on my older wrists.

ive just fitted these yamaha virago bars they are higher and wider and suit my riding better but im having to lengthen clutch cable and brake lines !!

I've got 2008 FZ1 and want to lower the bars myself. I guess it all depends on your driving style and your morpho. I am 5'7", 168pds. If you sit on the bike stock and wrap your hands on the clutch and brake levers, this is where I'd want to be positionned. I looked for a lowering kit and it doesn't seem to exist so now I'm looking for handlebars that will drop me about an inch and move forward an inch. Any ideas out there? Also looking into a Corbin or sergent or Yamaha gel seat for confort (anyone tried those options) and a Puig windshield to get a little bit more wind protection. I bought the tall GIVI and it creates a lot of turbulance around the helmet so I need to try the Puig. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
You beat me to the suggestion, but upon re-reading they are wanting to raise to a more upright position instead of lowering.

Another option, and pricey at that but will allow you many configurations within one set of handlebars is Converti-Bars.

Billy, I'm wanting to go the other way so if/when you decide to change bars, I've got a stock set available. Presently have an unused set of Rizomas that I'm trying to debate on using or sending back to PJ for credit to use towards purchasing a set of the SM2's.

BroHay

Bars

Ron60 looks like he's wanting to go lower on the bars. Suburban Machinery is actually located a few miles from where I am right now in Willoughby, OH. But for my old bones I too would want to raise them as opposed to lowering them. But I'm ok with the stock setup for now.

Busted...selective thread reading?? Please don't report me to the authorities... :nerd:

Anyone have a set of SM2's that they are wanting to part with, I'm your buyer

BroHay

Looks like Suburban Machinery's got what I need to lower position and move forward about an inch or so. How about finish and quality of those bars? Is it OEM quality? Have you bought it yourself and do you like?

Thanks for your input guys!

Ron60

I had ConvertiBars on my FZ6, excellent product, almost infinite adjustably. I dropped them low for the track and raise them up about 3 inches for touring. They made the Fizzer even more versatile.

convertibars.com

If you look on Ebay and at other retailers you can find them for less than suggested retail.

The good thing is you can move them from bike to bike very easily too. For my 1125r I kept the Convertis from the FZ all I need to do is buy new collars and I can take the 11 touring. :Rockon:

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I read some threads on FZ1OA and apparently the risers from a Suzuki SV650 2003-2006 fit on the FZ! GEn II without problems. It would lower the bars by exactly an inch but doesn't move the handlebars forward. Also doesn't cause problems with windshield or tank. Anyone tried those risers? Also read that some have tried Gen I risers on Gen II no problems?

Pictures or comments welcome

I've finally been able to track down a set of SM2's and they are coming this week. I have the GYTR lower risers and with the forward position, what I've been looking for in a riding position will hopefully be achieved.

Well, should you decide the Gen I risers on a Gen II, I've got a set.

BroHay

I have heard of people swapping out the stock FZ1 bar for an FZ6 bar that has more of a rise to it to gain a little height. The way I understand it you do not have to change to longer cables or brake lines.

Guys just wondering if this is the case, I was thinking about doing this also, FZ6 bars on the FZ1 just to get about an inch or so of height. Is it true you don't need to lengthen any cables?

Back