Has any one drilled out the baffles in the FZ1 muffler?

Xlerat

I have the first gen stock muffler on my FZ1, and was wondering if anyone had drilled the baffles out in the stock muffler. The way i read it, is that you can run a drill bit that is as big as the pipe opening though all of the baffles, all two or three of them, which would make it louder and less restrictive...

So has anyone done it? :thewave:

It works, I have done it on the smaller Yamaha's. I used a long drill bit to center line, And then a small hole saw with an extension on it. I used a 1/2 inch on my TW200.

I did not have a drill extension long enough to reach the baffles so I did the next best thing. I took a piece of 1" pipe and cut it off at an angle and sharpened the end on a grinder a little. I then slid it down inside until it hit the first baffle. I then cut the end I was going to hit with a hammer, off square with enough to travel the length of the pipe and have something to hold on to. I then got out a BFH. and pounded it through as far as I could. I think the baffle was welded in place, and actually folded out of the way. I then turned the exhaust can over. I cut a fresh angle on the end of the pipe and pounded it as far I could through from the other end. Make sure you leave enough to hold onto to pull it back out as it has to go arround a corner from both ways and gets wedged in there. I used a slide hammer to pull it back out, but did not really need one It was just easier. It worked well, it is louder and certainly has less back pressure. It does not sound like a $400 shorty can, but is similar to other baffled units.

Drilling out the cat.

Check out a site Copperdawg.com he shows you step by step via a Youtube video. I have done it and it was not that hard....

Last edited:
did it a month ago, all i had was a 6 inch long .250 bit, drilled a bunch of holes and knoched out the rest with a long chisel and screwdriver, be careful not to drill to far in.

Back