Has anyone driven the new Yamaha VMax?

I have my mind solidly set on buying a second bike. I want a cruiser and I was going for a Victory 8 Ball or Hammer. I was stuck trying to decide which of those two bikes was going to be my next bike. Then I saw this VMax and it absolutely blew me away.

yamaha-vmax.jpg

It is not so much a cruiser as what I call a hybrid. Kind of a cross of a cruiser and a sport bike. (That is just my opinion).
In any case - this bike has really caught my attention and I was wondering if anyone has ridden one of these or heard any feedback from an owner.
I'm not able to take a test drive right now so I welcome any feedback that anyone has.

Here is a right up.
Live from Yamaha's 200bhp 2009 V-Max launch - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

I've never rode one but I was taking a look at one at my local dealers.

It's a mean looking bike, it looks like it could be real good fun to ride but I can't imagine te handling being up to much with the size of it!

The main thing that would put me off would be the price. They're retailing at about £21,000 here in the UK :eek5:

If its power you want then its power you'll get.

It is an awesome bike to ride. Not as nimble in the twisties but not real bad either. It makes up on the straights where it loses n the corners.

The roll on power is unmatched.
Here is a short video of me in front of my place of employment doing a shift into second.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghkqsqSR6Ac&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Vmax acceleration[/ame]

I do believe a magazine did a comparison of the Bking and Vmax. I was looking at a Bking before I found the FZ. The king will wheelie through third if you want it too and has lots and lots of power. Dont know a whole lot about the max but I sat on it one day and I think I would have to put drag bars on it to make it more comfortable for me IMO.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it and the video was really nice as well. Looks like this is a real beast. :)
I had never heard of the BKing. I will have to check that out as well.
Thanks for the input guys.

I tried the V-Max for couple of hours month ago. It has a great motor. It has V2-like torgue at low rpm and the power just keeps on going. It will make you smile. The power is enormous. Suprisingly easy to handle. And the seat is brilliant. Nice bike for cruising, but not for riding long distances. The only downside is the ridiculous price. Compared to B-King for example.

I also had a B-King, and compared to V-Max it is more like a Streetfighter/ superbike and V-Max is more like a cruiser. I don't think they are the same at all.

If I had the money, I would buy V-Max as a second bike instantly. It doesn't replace FZ1 in any way, but it would make an awesome second bike.

I rode one at a local bike event about a year ago and it totally blew my mind, the thing is huge. Amazing power and comfortable. I read an article about a pretty significant downside, 100 mile range. I'd have to fill up everyday if I drove it to work, and that's just ridiculous.

I rode one at a local bike event about a year ago and it totally blew my mind, the thing is huge. Amazing power and comfortable. I read an article about a pretty significant downside, 100 mile range. I'd have to fill up everyday if I drove it to work, and that's just ridiculous.

Yep! The downside it dont pass too many gas stations. and it REQUIRES high test only. I get about 110 to a tank on trips. 80 to 100 miles around town.

and the back tire must be made like a sharpie. It writes out loud!lol

I got to ride the V-Max earlier this year for bout 30-45 minutes. Never having ridden one before I didn't know what to expect. The power was insane, but I wasn't comfortable on it at all and the handling felt "weird" to me. I'm sure given more seat time I would get used to it. The one cruiser that I rode and really liked from both a power and handling perspective was the Midnight Warrior ;) And yes I know that muffler is hideous, but there are plenty of aftermarket pipes for it.

attachment.php

I owned the warrior before buying the fz1. Great bike, I loved it. I got rid of it because everybody I know has sport bikes, and enjoyed riding my wife's fz6 more. It's a heavy bike to thow around, but in a straight line its phenominal.

One of my buddies has a warrior and we dropped a tooth on the front and did velocity stacks plus a power comander. Now he pulls wheelies :woot:

Thanks for the continued feedback. I appreciate you guy's opinions!

You know - I was loving this bike and feeling like I was starting to lean toward the VMAX over the Victory until I read this.

WOW!
This is a huge negative!!! I do a lot of long rides and this does not fit into those plans. Combine that with an incredibly large sticker price and I believe that I have some more thinking to do.
LOL
Thank you guys again for the additional feedback and PLEASE don't stop. If anyone else would like to throw something else into the mix - please jump right in.
:cheers:

Thanks for the continued feedback. I appreciate you guy's opinions!

You know - I was loving this bike and feeling like I was starting to lean toward the VMAX over the Victory until I read this.

WOW!
This is a huge negative!!! I do a lot of long rides and this does not fit into those plans. Combine that with an incredibly large sticker price and I believe that I have some more thinking to do.
LOL
Thank you guys again for the additional feedback and PLEASE don't stop. If anyone else would like to throw something else into the mix - please jump right in.
:cheers:

there is a fun factor that has made me never think of what I paid or how much gas it burns. i honestly dont even think of thoes two things. It does not cross my mind.

It is a very quick and powerfull machine from any speed. twist and go 120flbtorque and 197hp. Makes this thing a thrill to ride.
It spins up like a GP bike and will do super long burnouts through 3rd.
But of course to each his own. I dont have the funds to own two bikes.
I had to chose the one that was going to be the best for my each time. Your looking for something to use when not in the mood for the FZ.
You might want to stay on track with the Victory.

The Vmax is a great bike just not for every one thats for sure. I am 5.8 and 180lb it fits me good. I have been Riding since 1981. I love the V4s. My first streetbike at the ripe old age of 19 was the v65 magna. Unbelievable power. I am glad to be back on a v4 again.

For more vmax info check out a Vmax site. You might find a detail or two that suits your liking.
But please get whats best for you. these arent cheap.
:sport12:

Back