Has anyone ever used a motorcycle carrier like this:

I was more curious to see if anyone had ever used one of these.
To answer your question I didn't really like the way that I couldn't close my tailgate when I had my FZ1 in the back and so I was looking at other options. Plus the ramps that I liked were so big that I had trouble finding a place to store them (with all the other stuff I had loaded in the club cab).
I just bought a Razor Motorcycle Trailer.

RazorTrailer.jpg

I just got sick of the whole "ramp" issue and where to store them. Now I don't have to deal with it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

I was more curious to see if anyone had ever used one of these.
To answer your question I didn't really like the way that I couldn't close my tailgate when I had my FZ1 in the back and so I was looking at other options. Plus the ramps that I liked were so big that I had trouble finding a place to store them (with all the other stuff I had loaded in the club cab).
I just bought a Razor Motorcycle Trailer.

RazorTrailer.jpg

I just got sick of the whole "ramp" issue and where to store them. Now I don't have to deal with it.

Wow, I can't believe you paid $2000 for that thing just so you wouldn't have to deal with a ramp. Now you'll have to worry about someone stealing it everywhere you go. :)

Wow, I can't believe you paid $2000 for that thing just so you wouldn't have to deal with a ramp. Now you'll have to worry about someone stealing it everywhere you go. :)

$550 on Ebay.
I thought it was an outstanding deal. It pulls really well and I like the design idea. I wish I could have found a folding version but I like this one. Plus I don't have to deal with any ramps. LOL

what is the point of all that winching lifting and what not when a regular utility trailer could be had for 1/4 of the cost

Nah!
I raises real easy. I tested it out before I handed over the money.
Harbor Freight is selling these utility trailers for about $300 and then you have to put some sort of decking on it. This is all metal and I will never have to replace the flooring. At least I hope I don't. Another good feature is the nuts are welded on the back so I can remove the tire railing and use it as a utility trailer.
Plus this looked a lot more solid than those HF trailers so I decided to pay a little extra. I do like the way those smaller trailers fold up. That is pretty nice but I have a lot of room so storage isn't an issue.
When CJ mentioned someone stealing it - that reminded me that when I picked up the trailer, the owner had a really nice trailer lock attached. LOL I tried to get him to throw that in but he wouldn't. I asked him how much he wanted and he said that he didn't want to sell it. LOL So I'm sitting at this guy's house and looking around - he doesn't have another trailer in sight. I asked him what he was going to do with that trailer lock and he says "I don't know - I just feel like hanging on to it." He was kind of an odd guy.

Last edited:
what is the point of all that winching lifting and what not when a regular utility trailer could be had for 1/4 of the cost

It's funny that you mentioned cost.
When I first started looking at prices - I read all over the internet that you could buy used 6x10 enclosed trailers for $800. NO WAY!!!! The cheapest trailers that I could find started at around $500 used and they were no where near as nice as the one I bought.
I guess prices really do vary all across the US because people were selling piece of sh*t trialers for $50 less that what I paid.

It's funny that you mentioned cost.
When I first started looking at prices - I read all over the internet that you could buy used 6x10 enclosed trailers for $800. NO WAY!!!! The cheapest trailers that I could find started at around $500 used and they were no where near as nice as the one I bought.
I guess prices really do vary all across the US because people were selling piece of sh*t trialers for $50 less that what I paid.

I must agree that $500 is a lot better than $2000. :) It's kinda cool but will still affect your gas mileage vs having it in the truck. I get 4mpg better with my bike in my Van vs pulling a trailer.

I think it depends on the vehicle you have. A truck would work great a small SUV like what I had and it doesn't work well at all. They worked great with my Jeep though. I used it to hall a YZ 250 and CRF 450

I think it depends on the vehicle you have. A truck would work great a small SUV like what I had and it doesn't work well at all. They worked great with my Jeep though. I used it to hall a YZ 250 and CRF 450

Yea, for light bikes like dirt bikes it looks like a nice easy solution.

We RV and whenever I see a cool motorcycle hitch I always run over and look at it. I have seen a couple now that are similar to the "drive up from the side" one you showed, but they have three draw bars going into three receivers under the vehicle. Both folks I saw with those also had trailer extenders going under the bike carrier and were towing trailers. I am psycho about towing safety and thought both their carriers were very well designed and solid. Those single-bar carriers just look flimsy and inadequate to me, for a full-size bike.

I also like the one where the front wheel of the bike goes in a sling off your trailer hitch and the rear tracks on the road, but that's tire wear and damage from road junk being thrown up onto the bike. But if you need to tote your bike around town easily (like in for a couple-day repair, or if you're moving), that's a great hitch.

:hellno: strongly discourage use of those types of haulers....3 months and 3 lay downs...just cant strap the fz down tight enough. and as for trucks, have a 1-ton dually so weight was neglible... but the carrier flexed more than I thought it should.

We RV and whenever I see a cool motorcycle hitch I always run over and look at it. I have seen a couple now that are similar to the "drive up from the side" one you showed, but they have three draw bars going into three receivers under the vehicle. Both folks I saw with those also had trailer extenders going under the bike carrier and were towing trailers. I am psycho about towing safety and thought both their carriers were very well designed and solid. Those single-bar carriers just look flimsy and inadequate to me, for a full-size bike.

I also like the one where the front wheel of the bike goes in a sling off your trailer hitch and the rear tracks on the road, but that's tire wear and damage from road junk being thrown up onto the bike. But if you need to tote your bike around town easily (like in for a couple-day repair, or if you're moving), that's a great hitch.

I hadn't looked at this thread in a while but I appreciate your answers.
This is really what I was looking for. I was simply curious because I had never seen these things for sport bikes.
In the end I feel good about buying a trailer - my other reason for looking at alternatives was pricing. As I mentioned before - trailers in my area (Texas) are pretty expensive.

OK - I found a video of what CJ was talking about.
Actually I saw a promotional video where for Yamaha/Monster Energy and saw guys loading their bikes into vans. That made me remember this thread.
I also remember seeing a lot of stunt riders who tour around the country in vans.
Just because it was mentioned in this thread -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptIiBQmrrA]How to secure your motorcycle in a van - YouTube[/ame]

Here is loading into a Astro Mini Van

Part1
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptIiBQmrrA]How to secure your motorcycle in a van - YouTube[/ame]

Part2
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fDlsZeoyU]Load Motorcycle To Astro Van, Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

The winch was funny and over kill.

I ride my bike up the ramp and into the Van where i have a front wheel receiver ( like any front wheel holder), then I get off the bike and strap it down. My bike is in the center of the Van.

Very easy --- takes me 5 minutes to get it in.

Edit: I have a E150 Ford Cargo Van --- not a mini-van. :)

Last edited:
I have been using a Ready Ramp bed extender for years to load bikes into the back of my Nissan Titan 4X4. I simply ride the dirtbikes into the back of the truck. For the FZ1, I stand next to the bike and walk it up the ramp using the bikes power to do the work. I just need to place something to step up onto to so that I can step up into the truck easier. I prefer to have help to unload, but I have done it alone.

I hate pulling a trailer in California, because you are supposed to stay I'm the slow lane and that lane is the roughest. Oh, and the limit your speed if you pull a trailer. I only use the trailer if I am leaving the state.

Back