Headshake from GenII

just wondering why it does this when I go hard on the throttle.I'm running -1 +1 gearing...just got the bike last month
I've had 01 running different sprocket set ups for 13 years had never had this problem:dontknow:

Less weight on the front end creates headshake. I've played with raising my forks through the triples at every position from flush to 10mm up, and I've found that lowering the front end makes the bike more stable under hard acceleration due to more weight on the front.

just wondering why it does this when I go hard on the throttle.I'm running -1 +1 gearing...just got the bike last month
I've had 01 running different sprocket set ups for 13 years had never had this problem:dontknow:

Is it really bad , or just a few twitches ? Often minor headshake happens when the front end is skimming the pavement under hard acceleration.

Sometimes you just need to relax your grip on the bars a little and hold on with your knees / legs gripping the tank. This often cures minor twitches and shakes. RELAX that death grip on the bars.

Suspension setup can play a part also, bike needs to be balanced front to rear.

Tires, condition and pressure can also be part of the puzzle.

Steeringhead bearings out of adjustment ? Never a bad idea to check/adjust them if your having an issue.

I added a GPR steering damper to cure a few twitches on my bike but they were mostly occurring on bumpy roads pushing the pace a bit in the corners.
From your description I'm guessing your getting a few twitches under hard acceleration in a straight line ?? if thats the case your probably just holding the bars to tight when the front end is skimming the pavement.

Loosen up your grip on the bars and hold the tank with your knees and see what happens :)

If you still have issues check suspension setup, tires, and steeringhead bearings .

Less weight on the front end creates headshake. I've played with raising my forks through the triples at every position from flush to 10mm up, and I've found that lowering the front end makes the bike more stable under hard acceleration due to more weight on the front.

the front and back has been lowered..3/4in front and 1 1/2 in rear
It was shaking Before that tho

Is it really bad , or just a few twitches ? Often minor headshake happens when the front end is skimming the pavement under hard acceleration.

Sometimes you just need to relax your grip on the bars a little and hold on with your knees / legs gripping the tank. This often cures minor twitches and shakes. RELAX that death grip on the bars.

Suspension setup can play a part also, bike needs to be balanced front to rear.

Tires, condition and pressure can also be part of the puzzle.

Steeringhead bearings out of adjustment ? Never a bad idea to check/adjust them if your having an issue.

I added a GPR steering damper to cure a few twitches on my bike but they were mostly occurring on bumpy roads pushing the pace a bit in the corners.
From your description I'm guessing your getting a few twitches under hard acceleration in a straight line ?? if thats the case your probably just holding the bars to tight when the front end is skimming the pavement.

Loosen up your grip on the bars and hold the tank with your knees and see what happens :)

If you still have issues check suspension setup, tires, and steeringhead bearings .

I think your right....probably skimming the pavement and holding on the bars too tight:stunta]:...I had a kawi 750 triple in my teen years and had the same problem..haha

It could be a great number of things, most have been mentioned already.

I wouldn't have thought gripping the bars too tight would cause it, completely the opposite happens on my old fazer 600, that used to start shimmying when you loosened your grip, and that got a bit scarry!

It's more than likely something mechanical such as headstock/wheel bearings, or suspension worn/misadjusted. I've even seen a gen 1 with a slightly bent fork leg causing it, only identified when the fork was removed from the yoke and the crease could be seen.

Start with the simple (cheap) repairs and go from there. Headstock bearings inspection and adjustment, wheel bearings check/replace, then start inspecting the forks oil levels, inspect the internal components.

Hopefully that should find the problem, the bikes don't normally do it without a problem being present!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

the front and back has been lowered..3/4in front and 1 1/2 in rear
It was shaking Before that tho

Well based off that, it should shake a bit more than stock, under hard straightline acceleration. I've lowered my front and raised my rear, creating a more "nose down" position, and it's definitely more stable than stock and handles quicker. However with your dimensions, the bike is actually sitting at a more "nose up" position than stock which means even less weight on the front end.

Stevierst; I wouldn't have thought gripping the bars too tight would cause it said:
Keith Code ( Author of Twist of the wrist ) and superbike school guru often mentions holding on too tight as the reason for headshake and other handling issues.

I'm short and old.....:)Imo it looks bad ass too
I've been riding since I was a youngster and All my bikes were tall for me,
I guess I'm tired of leaning to one side at a stop...hahaha
Using soupeys link in back...Like I said,it was doing it Before the drop

Last edited:
My bud had the same problem. He lowered the rear preload so he could touch. It ruined the handleing, the thang wouldnt turn. He didnt understand that the preload isnt made for that.

After I explained to him the chassis dynamics, he let me start working on it. Its way better now, but still a ways to go.

Just because it "did it" before your changes doesnt mean anything. That assumes that it was setup properly at that time. Based on my and others experience without having headshake, I'd suggest that it wasnt.

If your height has you changeing the chassis settings, the real way to fix it is to go to a shock/fork combo that is shortened. The short term fix is to go back to a normal ride height, especially in the rear, even if you have to 1 foot it. Do that and see how it is. I would suggest that you re-adjust your forks for no more than 10mm raised in the clamps. That seems to be the general max that others have tried.

Do you have the stock seat? Going to a custom seat that is shortened may help.

Or, honestly, maybe even a different bike more suited to your stature.

Last edited:
My bud had the same problem. He lowered the rear preload so he could touch. It ruined the handleing, the thang wouldnt turn. He didnt understand that the preload isnt made for that.

After I explained to him the chassis dynamics, he let me start working on it. Its way better now, but still a ways to go.

Just because it "did it" before your changes doesnt mean anything. That assumes that it was setup properly at that time. Based on my and others experience without having headshake, I'd suggest that it wasnt.

If your height has you changeing the chassis settings, the real way to fix it is to go to a shock/fork combo that is shortened. The short term fix is to go back to a normal ride height, especially in the rear, even if you have to 1 foot it. Do that and see how it is. I would suggest that you re-adjust your forks for no more than 10mm raised in the clamps. That seems to be the general max that others have tried.

Do you have the stock seat? Going to a custom seat that is shortened may help.

Or, honestly, maybe even a different bike more suited to your stature.

I said previously that it was doing it before the drop.....anyways I gunned it today on my favorite road and watched my front tires skimming the road.... causing the shimmy ..next thing will be getting Ivans flash so I'll just lift it when it starts bouncing off the pavement:)

Looks like a FZ1, only lowered. If that is bad ass looking you can have it. FYI, I only have a 29" inseam and my bike is raised a little from stock.

FYI, I can almost flat foot on the FZ-09 I rode today. Awesome bike.

Looks like a FZ1, only lowered. If that is bad ass looking you can have it. FYI, I only have a 29" inseam and my bike is raised a little from stock.

FYI, I can almost flat foot on the FZ-09 I rode today. Awesome bike.

Hey loosenut..my sister lives in San Jose..mabe we can go riding when I visit her this summer...I also have a 29 " inseam
Haven't. Seen the fz9 yet but I'm in love with my baby....

Back