Hello! Go easy on me Guys!

Just want to say Hi. I was lead here by a friend and site member. FZ1riderNY.
I dont currently have an FZ1. But I did have a first gen
FZ1. I am really into bikes. I enjoy talking bikes and sharing info and pics for sure. I have been riding since 1980 on dirt. And 1988 on Street. First Street bike was a V65 Magna. 21 years later I am awating the arrival of my new baby. Do in Jan or Feb I will be bringing home my precious new 2009 Vmax. I hope I can hang out with you all for some bike chat and picture sharing. I do miss my FZ it was an awesome bike. The power and smooth handling was unmatched with the previous bikes I owned before it. But It was time to try something else. The new Max is going to suit my style just fine. I loved the big V4 in my Magna so this 1700cc beast should take me back for sure. I am not here to hijack your forum but just to be a part of my true passion, Motorcycle.
FZ1riderNY, (Billy) Thank you for inviting me over here.
Earlzach (David):scared:

Last edited:
I found ya! The Earlzach threw me off for a sec. You know, old age and all. How's everything? Good I hope. Welcome to the site bud. I took a ride this afternoon after work. Aside from the gusty winds and cold temps, I had a good ride. I wanted to test out my new leather jacket. It was a hit. I was nice and warm, even as the Sun went down. I went to Leatherup.com and got a great leather at a great price. Heavy weight leather with removable inner liner. All for $109.95 I will be out there tomorrow for sure since they are saying that the winds will be down to only 5mph. The weeks are passing quickly and you know what that means. We'll be riding together soon! I can't wait. Have a great night there pal. I'll talk to you soon. Billy.

SUP BUDDY?
That earlzach seems to get everyone.
i'll let ya in. My basset hounds name is Earl Zachary.
AKC registered Sir duke of Earl.lol. No sh!t. I have gone by his name at almost every Forum.
Cant wait to ride. I too am counting the weeks but I dont even really know when it is going to be here. But yes the ride is goin to happen. I thin my pop is more excited the us. He lives to ride. And be pop pop.But who doesnt right.
Take it easy Bro.
Earlzach (dave) lol

I hear that! Please tell Dad I said hello. I was curious and should have just asked you. Do you know if the bike still has the stock air filter? Also, was the carbs adjusted when the D&D can was installed? I am just curious. I will be sync-ing the carbs soon to see if I can get rid of the popping on deceleration. I remember when I did the Honda's exhaust, I also had to adjust the air/fuel mixture on the carbs in order to make up for the lower back pressure. Once they were adjusted, all the popping stopped immediately. Maybe you could let me know. Thanks alot. Billy.

Yes to stock air, and no to sync on pipe install. I was told a dyno jet kit would be all it needs when I when seeking an Ivans set up. The popping from what I was ever told was the D&D. Not to many people are fans of that pipe because of its noise. I actually liked the sound of that pipe. Ask around about a Dyno Jet kit. The Shop that did my work said it was smooth except for the 1800ish rpm due to the Jets not in tune with the pipe at the lower rpms. I was told $275 installed for the Dyno Jet kit through him then. I cant tell you much about decel backfiring. If youknow anyone who can do you and Ivans kit. The rumor mill says its the way to go. You will ose MPG by about 4 to 6mpg.

Earlzach.

Yeah, that explains it. I figured that much but I wanted to be sure. It's not a real problem at all. I like the sound of the D&D. I know all about the Ivan's kit however I don't know if I want to drill the carbs. Once you do it, there's no turning back. I am going to sync the carbs next week myself and adjust the mixture to see if that cures most of it. Also, i will install the K&N in order to introduce more air into the mix. If after that, I can't remedy the situation, I'll then consider riding over to Ivan's place and pick up the kit. It's only $120.00 dollars and can be done yourself. I've always done all work myself so I am familiar with the procedure and shouldn't have any problems. There's also another kit available where no drilling is necessary. I'll look into that as well. I am trying not to hurt the mileage if possible. The bike is plenty fast for me as is. Worse comes to worse, I'll swap out the D&D for the Yosh slip on. Ray is running the Yosh and has stock filter and jets and has no popping whatsoever. We will see. Thanks for the info my friend. Billy.

FZ1, If one were to restrict the airflow, say in the form of putting a db killer in the exhaust, might that help the popping?

I also ran my finger inside the exhaust tipp, and did have some buildup. From that, would you have any suggestions as to whay might be taking place??

I am trying to do all maintenance myself and the carbs, a little bit hesitant, are next inline.

Thanks,
BroHay

FZ1, If one were to restrict the airflow, say in the form of putting a db killer in the exhaust, might that help the popping?

I also ran my finger inside the exhaust tipp, and did have some buildup. From that, would you have any suggestions as to whay might be taking place??

I am trying to do all maintenance myself and the carbs, a little bit hesitant, are next inline.

Thanks,
BroHay

Popping occurs because of unburnt fuel in the system... this happens for several reasons, but #1 is that the bike is tuned to run very rich at low RPM... this is an easy fix... just a matter of changing the float height... I'd shoot for about 13-13.5 mm ... as a good base line...

Back