helmet lock

reignman

I was getting annoyed with the lack of a helmet lock on this bike. Dropped my helmet a couple times trying to get it on/off, when using the little rear seat pegs and closing it through the d-rings. So I fabricated my own. Cut a small notch out of the rear plastic but its unnoticeable when the seat is on. Then heated up and bent a piece of aluminum I had laying around. I may add one to the other side too for when I have a passenger that needs to lock their helmet too.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 291
very nice! I have been meaning to do something along these lines. I currently just run a cable with two loops though the helmet and hook it to a small tab under the seat. this seems more efficient though

Or do it cleanly with the helmet lock made for this bike. It's a genuine Yamaha product and I got it from Japan....perfect use and function. It was about $40.

LINK >>>>>> YAMAHA : Helmet Hanger Set [Q5KYSK056E03]

medium800.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the helmet lock installed on my bike with the passenger foot peg mount. Very happy with it and I think they should have came on the bike from the factory.
ehudype6.jpg

I used a lock similar to this one.
Kuryakyn 4248 License Plate Helmet Lock With Mount:Amazon:Automotive

It used a key similar to my fz1. I ground down and arranged the pins so my fz1 key would work.

It's very easy to make your key work. Here or the other site had a "How to" but essentially it was just re organising the plates? for your key. Tip when you unlock it hide the key that comes with it. I disassembled the lock and re keyed it for the original key DOH.

OP - Very nice mod, very clean I like it. I have a Gen 1 so my bike comes with a Helmet lock from the factory, but a second one would be nice for my wife's helmet when she rides along with me.

Back