Help me remove the ignition switch

a7x3797

So I'm trying to remove the upper triple tree, and I'm stuck at those security bolts. Any advice? Maybe with pictures? I tried to cut a slot with a dremmel and use a flat head screw driver, but I broke the tip off of two.

Any tips would be great

As speed junkie says ..I removed the triple tree with the ignition switch , then on the bench drill a pilot hole through the centre of the cone , then followed by a 8 or 9mm drill will take the head off , the stud will then just unscrew . I replaced them with domed stainless Allen bolts .

Last edited:
I did the same. I used a snap-center punch to start a very small dent in the center of the dome. Started w/small diameter drill (4mm) and worked my way up until I was able to get the dome to pop off. Then I unscrewed the studs and replaced them with bolts. Worked like a charm!

Which reminds me...I'm going to be converting to R1 forks and I have an FZ8 upper that I need to do that to~!

Here's how I did mine... (Just did it on the FZ8 Triple I'm going to be using on my R1 conversion)

Keep punch as centered as possible. (I'll show you why later)
DSC_0241.JPG

Starter dent created by punch
DSC_0242.JPG

Start off with small drill
DSC_0243.JPG

Use oil to prevent bit from overheating.
DSC_0244.JPG

Gradually increase drill size
DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

If you don't keep it centered, you'll get into the ignition bracket a little...Still usable though.
DSC_0247.JPG

Pull off ignition module
DSC_0251.JPG

Using vice grips to remove studs...
DSC_0252.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

Clean it off and it's done!
DSC_0254.JPG

I hope this helped.

Back