Hey Aussies...

Dustin

My girlfriend and I have discussed the possibility of moving over to your country to work for a year or something. We decided it seems like a good place because neither of us have any family, previous travel or knowledge of the people and culture.

That and it's warm. And beautiful.

I will be working in healthcare and she is a teacher so I think finding work should not be an issue.

What kind of information can you share? :) Vague, I know...

It's great place for sure. What type of climate? The East coast is where most of the population live. It's opposite here, the further north the more tropical. I live 20 minutes drive from the centre of Melbourne (south) which is considered the worlds second most livable city after Toronto.

My girlfriend and I have discussed the possibility of moving over to your country to work for a year or something. We decided it seems like a good place because neither of us have any family, previous travel or knowledge of the people and culture.

My wife And I considered it 25 years ago, before kids, mortgage, etc. Do it while you are young and unencumbered. Take your bike and anything else that will fit in a shipping container. You only live once! :tup:

I live in BC which is the most temperate place in Canada. Vancouver winters are nothing compared to everywhere else in Canada and we will rarely see below -10c in the winter.

That said, it's too cold and too wet for me. What's the job market like out in Australia at the moment? Unemployment rate is high? How accepting of race are people?

I've been poking around Google Maps and looking at the east coast at cities. Is anyone here from Gladstone?

I am personally not a big city person and enjoy smaller cities and access to lonely roads. However, I'm totally open to anything.

Last edited:
I live in BC which is the most temperate place in Canada. Vancouver winters are nothing compared to everywhere else in Canada and we will rarely see below -10c in the winter.

That said, it's too cold and too wet for me. What's the job market like out in Australia at the moment? Unemployment rate is high?
The job market here is great. The economy is strong, we haven't had a downturn like the rest of the world. More jobs down south, there is more unemployment in the north.

QLD Websites

Dustin,

You should check out the following Queensland (QLD) Govt websites:

QLD Govt: Queensland Government

QLD Health: Welcome to Queensland Health - Promoting a healthier Queensland

QLD Dept of Education: Department of Education and Training

Due to the system of government in Australia each state (6) and territory (2) has different educational and health systems and standards.....we love duplication!

Lifestyle wise QLD is the best.....NSW and VIC are over legislated "nanny" states, especially when it comes to motorbikes!

That aside, you will enjoy Australia!

Thanks for all the input. I have a question: Which city has the biggest or best Chinatown? I've heard there's a large Thai population in Australia as well; is it true?

Both Sydney and Melbourne have "large" Chintown areas.

I have a mate from BC who has lived here in Sydney at Narrabeen Beach on what is called the Northern Beaches for many years and has been recently transferred back to the east coast of Canada for work and now can't adjust to the climate. Do a Google image search and you will get the idea.

The work aspect depends a lot on what you're qualifications are and how much you are looking to earn. The easiest employment here in Aus is in the mining industry due to the commodities boom we are enjoying by selling to China and India. 6 figure incomes are the norm. Other industries might be a bit more difficult to break into but that is only a matter of time. But unemployment is less than 5%.

Gladstone would be an area where you would be able to access jobs in the mining industry because of its location. But be warned.....the climate there is pretty tropical. Hot wet summers and mild winters. I doubt you would be riding much in summer up there. Too hot!! But it is certainly "country" so it should meet one of your requirements about not being in a big city.

There are numerous websites about migrating to Australia. Check them out. If you have any specific questions then please ask.

Cheers

Greg

Sawasdii khrup Khun Dustin, khun ben khon Thai chai mai??? (just because you asked about Sydney having a large Thai population)...

Sydney has 'Thainatown' right beside Chinatown right in the middle of the city... it is all students studying at the nearby Universities, living in high rise appartments... up to you whether that is your thing...

You both might have some trouble getting your qualifications recognised to teach/nurse in Australia... Getting details on this should be your number one priority...

When you think of 'big cities' remember that none of the cities in Aus are really big, Sydney 4.5M, Melbourne 4M, Perth and Brisbane 1.7M...

Sydney and Melbourne are the most multicultural... therefore most accepting of different races, but considering in many areas, 'Anglo' people are only about 10%, I honestly believe Australia is the most accepting country in the world...

Brisbane and Perth have the advantage of being much cheaper to live, because their housing prices are still between 50% and 25% less than Sydney... but because they are smaller, they have less infrastructure...

If I didn't have family tieing me to Sydney, I would probably choose Perth... If I didn't have family tieing me to Australia, I would choose Chiang Mai...

Chang1.jpg

Cheers,
Daewoo

The most work is in Western Australia cos of the mining boom.

They are just about paying qualified people to come here.

And the roads are much better.

You've just got to watch out for all the dangerous wildlife, we have more venomous/poisonous creatures than the rest of the world put together.

Oh, and yes, watch out for dropbears:australia:

If you are coming from Canada you might find the summertime climate in the north of Australia pretty hard to take. Melbourne has a very temperate climate. In the winter it is very rare to see daily max. temps drop below 8C ( 45F) and very rare to see temps less than -2C (29F) at anytime. Spring is pleasant and Autumn (Fall) is beautiful.....usually a couple of months of pleasant temps and very little rain. Your wife would not have any trouble finding work as a nurse. I am not sure about the teaching situation though.

If you are coming from Canada you might find the summertime climate in the north of Australia pretty hard to take. Melbourne has a very temperate climate. In the winter it is very rare to see daily max. temps drop below 8C ( 45F) and very rare to see temps less than -2C (29F) at anytime. Spring is pleasant and Autumn (Fall) is beautiful.....usually a couple of months of pleasant temps and very little rain. Your wife would not have any trouble finding work as a nurse. I am not sure about the teaching situation though.

Melbourne also seems to have a much more biker friendly culture than Sydney...

In Melbourne you can park on the footpath (sidewalk)... In Sydney you would be shot and then hung...

Melbourne roads are much wider than Sydney, so you can filter past the cars more easily...

But everyone else in Australia makes jokes about Melbourne's crappy weather... And Melbourne doesn't have any hospitals Jeff Kennett sold them all back in 1996...;)

If you aren't looking for a city... maybe think about a mining town... Baiscally Australia's ecconomy survives because we are digging up the entire middle of the country and selling it to China... lots of work going 'in the bush' with big salaries... but since Teachers and Nurses salaries are set by the government, and are the same across an entire state or Australia Wide, you don't really get to take advantage of the high salaries... unless you want to earn $Au150K to drive big dump trucks...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Last edited:
Back