Hi new fz1 owner

Hi just got a 2013 fz1 coming up on my 600 mile tune up can't wait to break her in to see what it can real do. well my next step is do the simple mods does any body have the must do's I should star with?

Welcome to the thread! Lots of great people and good info here.... I have a 2013 myself, coming up to about 2000 miles now.

Interesting name: physician working in nuclear medicine by any chance?

hi

no not a doctor nuc med tech been looking around for after market part do you know how has a good selection and prices and very interest in some do it yourself thing I can do

Oh cool stuff regardless haha, whereabouts u located?

What kind of stuff are u looking for? Pjs parts is a pretty well liked site around these parts with all sorts of random stuff for the bike.... Really depends on what ur looking to do, I'd recommend some forum searches, there's all sorts of discussions about exhausts, engine mods like flies, airbox, power controllers etc.... Not to mention more routine things like tires, suspension components, handlebars, the list goes on

One of the nice things about the fz1 is that it's been around so long there's a lot u can do with it

thanks

iam in Arizona lake havasu city where we ride year round if 120 degrees don't bother you:wilynily:

UOTE=harrisch;152630]Oh cool stuff regardless haha, whereabouts u located?

What kind of stuff are u looking for? Pjs parts is a pretty well liked site around these parts with all sorts of random stuff for the bike.... Really depends on what ur looking to do, I'd recommend some forum searches, there's all sorts of discussions about exhausts, engine mods like flies, airbox, power controllers etc.... Not to mention more routine things like tires, suspension components, handlebars, the list goes on

One of the nice things about the fz1 is that it's been around so long there's a lot u can do with it[/QUOTE]

Two easy first things I did were fender eliminator and flush mounts up front. They really clean up the look of the bike. I got the FE for 50 off ebay and flush mounts for about 15 on amazon, but you can also find them cheap on ebay. 16T sprocket is another cheap mod, for about $30, that makes a noticeable difference in acceleration.

Hello and welcome to the forum, When my Fz1 was still new the only thing I change or add was a slider and some aesthetic stuff, after some time changed my oem pipe with a slip on and aftermarket drop in filter. What is important is to break in properly and change the fluids regularly.

How is that? all the info comes from the same place so if the speedo is correct the odometer is correct also. It just compensates for the gearing change. Not correcting the speedo will make the odometer inaccurate.

How is that? all the info comes from the same place so if the speedo is correct the odometer is correct also. It just compensates for the gearing change. Not correcting the speedo will make the odometer inaccurate.

I have found that to be incorrect. In my experience, bikes are designed with a speedo variance intentionally. The manufacturer purposely makes it optimistic but the odometer is accurate. This is my experience with the bikes I've tested and what I've read online. My VFR, 919, FZ1, SV650 and my FZ600 have all been 8-10% off with the speedo and within 1% for mileage, verified with both GPS and mile markers. Several people here have found the same thing as well.

Last edited:
I have found that to be incorrect. In my experience, bikes are designed with a speedo variance intentionally. The manufacturer purposely makes it optimistic but the odometer is accurate. This is my experience with the bikes I've tested and what I've read online. My VFR, 919, FZ1, SV650 and my FZ600 have all been 8-10% off with the speedo and within 1% for mileage, verified with both GPS and mile markers. Several people here have found the same thing as well.
So if you set it up with the exact same amount of Speedo inaccuracy as the manufacturer put into it all will be the same. The problem is I guess that people never figure out how inaccurate there speedo is before they correct it.? I have checked my odometer against other bikes after the change and it has been correct.

I guess it gets to be a little tricky when you set it up. I've never used a SpeedoHealer or anything like that but I suppose if you maintained the stock 'ratio' (for lack of a better word) between the factory speedo & odometer settings, you'd be a-ok

If you corrected your speedo 10% to match actual speed/GPS readings, your odometer would read that percentage too low. It's just something to keep in mind when adjusting that stuff. My 919 was 11% optimistic with speed but almost exactly correct with mileage. If I adjusted the speedometer 11%, I'd be reading mileage 11% too low for example.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong :angel:

Last edited:
11%?!!! Thats quite the error factor.

I just put mine on, so Ill have to check out both functions.

So, I guess your damned if you do, damned if you dont.

1) 16 CS
2) performance air filter
3) Cheap AIS
4) Gut CAT
5) LARS mod
6) front brake lines w/ HH pads
7) PC3 w/Jondaddys map
8) exhaust of your choice
9) SATANs R1 adapter with R1 shock
10) IVANs flash

Last edited:
I guess it gets to be a little tricky when you set it up. I've never used a SpeedoHealer or anything like that but I suppose if you maintained the stock 'ratio' (for lack of a better word) between the factory speedo & odometer settings, you'd be a-ok

If you corrected your speedo 10% to match actual speed/GPS readings, your odometer would read that percentage too low. It's just something to keep in mind when adjusting that stuff. My 919 was 11% optimistic with speed but almost exactly correct with mileage. If I adjusted the speedometer 11%, I'd be reading mileage 11% too low for example.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong :angel:
The speedo healer does not adjust the speedometer and odometer separately it adjust the signal being sent to the computer by adjusting the voltage so the computer thinks the gear ratio was never changed, it is just a simple math thing. Both the odometer and the speedometer use the same input signal so there would be no change in the correlation between the two.

The speedo healer does not adjust the speedometer and odometer separately it adjust the signal being sent to the computer by adjusting the voltage so the computer thinks the gear ratio was never changed, it is just a simple math thing. Both the odometer and the speedometer use the same input signal so there would be no change in the correlation between the two.

That's what I was trying to say in my incoherent babble. ;)

Regardless of how you adjust it, there's always going to be a 'ratio' between the speed and mileage so you'll never have both reading correctly at the same time.

Back